Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Thinning rubber based inks

  • Matt Kelsey
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Some old rubber base ink just dries up, unlike oil base ink. I have had
      30-year old rubber base ink that is rock hard and only suitable for
      disposal. But in the shorter term perhaps a reducer as Gerald suggested
      would help.

      Matt

      On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

      > Carole
      >
      > I assume these are VanSon inks? Both KellyPaper (number of outlets in
      > California) and Boxcar Press provide various additives for rubber
      > based inks. Including reducers.
      >
      > Stiffer inks tend to work well on Vandercooks and other hand presses.
      > Looser inks on just about everything elee. What press/es are you using?
      >
      > I've got some old formula VanSon that is easily 40 years old now, and
      > it is almost just about there. Can't wait.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >
      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com <PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Carole Aldrich"
      >
      > <carolealdrich@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What do I use to thin rubber based inks. My ink has started getting
      > too thick and I don't want
      > > to throw it out.

    • Carole Aldrich
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Gerald

        I'm using a C&P Pilot and yes, VanSon and Impreset (sp?). I was
        taught to work the ink until it drips in "strings". I printed this
        weekend and after a lot of working it barely did that and was hard to
        get evenly on the ink disc. I know my black is really hard. I need to
        get my Christmas cards printed soon.

        Carole Aldrich
        carolealdrich@...
        909-625-7722
        909-374-2981 cell

      • okintertype
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          I have had the same problem with VanSon rubber base ink. I have a one
          lb. can that was never opened during the year I had it, and it is
          already much thicker. The local dealer has no explanation. Since I
          don't use much ink, and it must be durable for long periods of time, I
          can't afford to use rubber base ink.
          Stan

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Carole Aldrich"