Re: Thinning rubber based inks

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Carole

      I assume these are VanSon inks? Both KellyPaper (number of outlets in
      California) and Boxcar Press provide various additives for rubber
      based inks. Including reducers.

      Stiffer inks tend to work well on Vandercooks and other hand presses.
      Looser inks on just about everything elee. What press/es are you using?

      I've got some old formula VanSon that is easily 40 years old now, and
      it is almost just about there. Can't wait.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Carole Aldrich"
      <carolealdrich@...> wrote:

      > What do I use to thin rubber based inks. My ink has started getting
      too thick and I don't want
      > to throw it out.

    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
        Some old rubber base ink just dries up, unlike oil base ink. I have had
        30-year old rubber base ink that is rock hard and only suitable for
        disposal. But in the shorter term perhaps a reducer as Gerald suggested
        would help.

        Matt

        On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Gerald Lange <Bieler@...> wrote:

        > Carole
        >
        > I assume these are VanSon inks? Both KellyPaper (number of outlets in
        > California) and Boxcar Press provide various additives for rubber
        > based inks. Including reducers.
        >
        > Stiffer inks tend to work well on Vandercooks and other hand presses.
        > Looser inks on just about everything elee. What press/es are you using?
        >
        > I've got some old formula VanSon that is easily 40 years old now, and
        > it is almost just about there. Can't wait.
        >
        > Gerald
        > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com <PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Carole Aldrich"
        >
        > <carolealdrich@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > What do I use to thin rubber based inks. My ink has started getting
        > too thick and I don't want
        > > to throw it out.

      • Carole Aldrich
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hi Gerald

          I'm using a C&P Pilot and yes, VanSon and Impreset (sp?). I was
          taught to work the ink until it drips in "strings". I printed this
          weekend and after a lot of working it barely did that and was hard to
          get evenly on the ink disc. I know my black is really hard. I need to
          get my Christmas cards printed soon.

          Carole Aldrich
          carolealdrich@...
          909-625-7722
          909-374-2981 cell

        • okintertype
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
            I have had the same problem with VanSon rubber base ink. I have a one
            lb. can that was never opened during the year I had it, and it is
            already much thicker. The local dealer has no explanation. Since I
            don't use much ink, and it must be durable for long periods of time, I
            can't afford to use rubber base ink.
            Stan