Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Firefox problems

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2008
      On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:40 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

      > Not to belabor this but pretty much everything that can go wrong can
      > be attributed to either Adobe or Microsoft. What's gone wrong with the
      > big corps? Adobe abandons it's programs with every update, Microsoft
      > doesn't either care or have a clue how to run software on a Mac.

      Having been a tester for many iterations of Adobe's CS Suite
      (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver), I can attest that the engineers
      are paddling as fast as they can to keep up with demands from
      marketing, and the infinite, incompatible demands of users, future
      features, legacy compatibility and operating systems.

      Re Microsoft on the Mac, I dropped MSOffice a couple of years ago, and
      have been using NeoOffice, a Mac version of the OpenOffice suite.
      Free, as in free beer, and open source. It's 100% file compatible with
      MS Office. See my review here:

      http://www.fraterdeus.com/freerangeit/archive/2007/01/12/neo-office-for-osx

      > I just switch to whatever works. The hell with them. Geez, it's a new
      > world, get with it; "get out of the way if you can't lend a hand."

      Indeed. I take some solace in knowing that there's a special circle in
      hell for people who design applications (software, cell phone, stove
      top, whatever) which waste my time with utterly stupid and clueless
      user-interfaces.
      It's one level above the spammers.

      :-)

      BTW, 'everything that can go wrong' also includes corrupt font files.
      These little guys have been less problematic lately, as the OS have
      learned to deal with them. However, if one has more than a few dozen
      fonts installed, it's well worth clearing them out now and then. See
      Linotype Font Explorer (a free download, it's by far the best font
      management app out there).

      Happy Thanksgiving, all. I'm very thankful for PPLetterpress!

      Cheers
      PF

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress
      http://slowprint.com

      New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
      Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
      Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hi

        I should have marked this OT originally, but internet problems are the
        true test of the [hmmm}.

        Still no go with this sucker. Have it fairly well isolated. Just
        waiting for an upgrade. Otherwise, just getting along with Camino.
        Sort of like finding out that Starbucks is no more, but hey, you can
        get good coffee elsewhere. Truth be told, I have never been in a
        Starbucks (there is one right around the corner—kinda creepy loser
        people in there); though I did receive a year long mail in something
        or other from them as a Xmas gift once upon a time.

        Okay. definitely OT here.

        Gerald