FWD: The Art of Wood Type

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2008
      Wood Type Update II

      Dear Wood Type Friends:

      This is the second and I hope the final update on my progress with the
      inventory and photo album of my wood type collection, and some news
      about the publication of my good friend Greg Ruffa's beautiful new
      book, "The Art of Wood Type".

      First, on the type collection: I told myself last time that nothing
      but the complete collapse of the global financial system would keep me
      from finishing the wood type inventory and photo album by
      mid-October... well, you can see where this is going. The good news is
      I do have the inventory done: 365 fonts (give or take a few duplicates
      I may weed out) in ten cabinets. The other good news is that I will
      have the photo album done in another two weeks. (There is no bad news.
      We no longer allow bad news.) So expect to hear from me again shortly
      with the final inventory and photo album done and available for your
      inspection.

      Second, on the publication of "The Art of Wood Type": Greg Ruffa is a
      long-time collector of wood type, commercial printer, ad man, writer
      and designer. For the past four years (beginning, I believe, shortly
      before his 80th birthday) Greg has been working on a labor of love: a
      beautiful, full-color, art quality book about wood type, including 120
      classic and rare fonts shown both in proof and in full color
      photography from the actual wood font (see sample pages below). Greg
      displays not only the best from his own collection, but the best from
      many collections around the country. The 330-page book also contains
      extensive background material on the history and development of
      typography, the evolution and and use of wood type, and portraits of
      current wood type printers, artists, educators and collectors. Greg
      designed the book himself, and oversaw the production from start to
      finish, choosing the best paper and binding in order to make this a
      real treasure. The book will be ready to ship by the end of the month,
      and is only available directly through Greg. The price is $50, plus $5
      shipping and handling. This is the Christmas gift I'm giving myself.
      For more information, or to place an order, contact Greg at
      grapublish@... - and tell him Malcolm sent you! (Please feel free
      to pass this email along to any of your friends who might also be
      interested in the book.)

      Talk to you all again soon!

      Malcolm