Firefox problems

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
      If anyone has upgraded to Firefox 3.04 there seem to be a number of
      problems. Mainly freezing or hanging. This will eventually corrupt
      your operating system. Best shot is to convert to Camino during this
      problematic period (if you are a Mac user) as it will import all your
      Firefox data.

      Hopefully this will eventually be fixed, though I have found, in my
      forced circumstance, that I kind of like the no frills Camino. A bit
      slow in some situations but there sure ain't no BS to it. It certainly
      stands alone in that regard.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
        Hi Gerald

        I've not had any problems so far (knock on wood!) with Firefox 3.0.4
        under OS X 10.5.5 (Intel)

        What sort of OS corruption have you been seeing?

        best
        Peter

        On 19 Nov 2008, at 6:05 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

        > If anyone has upgraded to Firefox 3.04 there seem to be a number of
        > problems. Mainly freezing or hanging. This will eventually corrupt
        > your operating system. Best shot is to convert to Camino during this
        > problematic period (if you are a Mac user) as it will import all your
        > Firefox data.
        >
        > Hopefully this will eventually be fixed, though I have found, in my
        > forced circumstance, that I kind of like the no frills Camino. A bit
        > slow in some situations but there sure ain't no BS to it. It certainly
        > stands alone in that regard.
        >
        > Gerald

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Exquisite Letterpress
        http://slowprint.com

        New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
        Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
        Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
          Hi Peter

          This was somewhat in response to a couple of member inquiries as to
          whether or not this had something to do with Yahoo. But, yes, I am
          running shy of my beloved Firefox. All I have experienced were too
          frequent crashes (freezing) in the days following the upgrade but the
          Firefox forum is indicating other problems.

          Dude, I run a couple of very old G4 Macinsteins, very souped up
          junkers. Hey, right on track here, Depression era thinking, Use It Up.
          Better than Green.

          > Hi Gerald
          >
          > I've not had any problems so far (knock on wood!) with Firefox 3.0.4
          > under OS X 10.5.5 (Intel)
          >
          > What sort of OS corruption have you been seeing?
          >
          > best
          > Peter
          >
          > On 19 Nov 2008, at 6:05 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >
          > > If anyone has upgraded to Firefox 3.04 there seem to be a number of
          > > problems. Mainly freezing or hanging. This will eventually corrupt
          > > your operating system. Best shot is to convert to Camino during this
          > > problematic period (if you are a Mac user) as it will import all your
          > > Firefox data.
          > >
          > > Hopefully this will eventually be fixed, though I have found, in my
          > > forced circumstance, that I kind of like the no frills Camino. A bit
          > > slow in some situations but there sure ain't no BS to it. It certainly
          > > stands alone in that regard.
          > >
          > > Gerald
          >
          > Peter Fraterdeus
          > Exquisite Letterpress
          > http://slowprint.com
          >
          > New! SlowPrint Newsletter!
          > Signup: http://tinyurl.com/slowprint
          > Current: http://slowprint.com/slowprintnl

        • Dave Allen
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
            Gerald,
            Most of the problems with firefox actually are accountable to Adobe PDF
            reader interface. At least in the pc version.
            Dave Allen
            Gerald Lange wrote:
            > Hi Peter
            >
            > But, yes, I am
            > running shy of my beloved Firefox. All I have experienced were too
            > frequent crashes (freezing) in the days following the upgrade but the
            > Firefox forum is indicating other problems.

            840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
            (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2008
              Not to belabor this but pretty much everything that can go wrong can
              be attributed to either Adobe or Microsoft. What's gone wrong with the
              big corps? Adobe abandons it's programs with every update, Microsoft
              doesn't either care or have a clue how to run software on a Mac.

              I just switch to whatever works. The hell with them. Geez, it's a new
              world, get with it; "get out of the way if you can't lend a hand."

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2008
                On 28 Nov 2008, at 11:40 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

                > Not to belabor this but pretty much everything that can go wrong can
                > be attributed to either Adobe or Microsoft. What's gone wrong with the
                > big corps? Adobe abandons it's programs with every update, Microsoft
                > doesn't either care or have a clue how to run software on a Mac.

                Having been a tester for many iterations of Adobe's CS Suite
                (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver), I can attest that the engineers
                are paddling as fast as they can to keep up with demands from
                marketing, and the infinite, incompatible demands of users, future
                features, legacy compatibility and operating systems.

                Re Microsoft on the Mac, I dropped MSOffice a couple of years ago, and
                have been using NeoOffice, a Mac version of the OpenOffice suite.
                Free, as in free beer, and open source. It's 100% file compatible with
                MS Office. See my review here:

                http://www.fraterdeus.com/freerangeit/archive/2007/01/12/neo-office-for-osx

                > I just switch to whatever works. The hell with them. Geez, it's a new
                > world, get with it; "get out of the way if you can't lend a hand."

                Indeed. I take some solace in knowing that there's a special circle in
                hell for people who design applications (software, cell phone, stove
                top, whatever) which waste my time with utterly stupid and clueless
                user-interfaces.
                It's one level above the spammers.

                :-)

                BTW, 'everything that can go wrong' also includes corrupt font files.
                These little guys have been less problematic lately, as the OS have
                learned to deal with them. However, if one has more than a few dozen
                fonts installed, it's well worth clearing them out now and then. See
                Linotype Font Explorer (a free download, it's by far the best font
                management app out there).

                Happy Thanksgiving, all. I'm very thankful for PPLetterpress!

                Cheers
                PF

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Hi

                  I should have marked this OT originally, but internet problems are the
                  true test of the [hmmm}.

                  Still no go with this sucker. Have it fairly well isolated. Just
                  waiting for an upgrade. Otherwise, just getting along with Camino.
                  Sort of like finding out that Starbucks is no more, but hey, you can
                  get good coffee elsewhere. Truth be told, I have never been in a
                  Starbucks (there is one right around the corner—kinda creepy loser
                  people in there); though I did receive a year long mail in something
                  or other from them as a Xmas gift once upon a time.

                  Okay. definitely OT here.

                  Gerald