Re: [PPLetterpress] Making negatives using a platemaker - LINK CORRECTION

  • Lamsland
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      There's been talk on the list before of using laser transparencies
      for platemaking. While it's ok for some rough work the density of the
      toner, even with the help of laser buddy is not enough to directly
      make a plate with sharp detail.

      What they're doing here is different though. They're using the laser
      generated transparency to expose a piece of litho film. This exposure
      is much more "forgiving" than that of a polymer plate because at most
      it's on a second or two exposure. Once they have a good dense peice
      of litho film to produce their plate any finer details held in that
      film should reproduce on the plate. The down side I see is that it's
      a 2nd generation image. Anyone who's shot a copy of a copy of a copy
      will know just how much detail you can get out of that. So while
      they've found a way to improve on the density problem of laser, it
      comes at a cost of reproducing fine detail.