Re: [PPLetterpress] Making negatives using a platemaker - LINK CORRECTION

  • Jacob Groth
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
      Thanks Ed. I appreciate your insight. I almost went the process camera route but was put off by the size of the equipment and my limited space.

      Jacob

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        There's been talk on the list before of using laser transparencies
        for platemaking. While it's ok for some rough work the density of the
        toner, even with the help of laser buddy is not enough to directly
        make a plate with sharp detail.

        What they're doing here is different though. They're using the laser
        generated transparency to expose a piece of litho film. This exposure
        is much more "forgiving" than that of a polymer plate because at most
        it's on a second or two exposure. Once they have a good dense peice
        of litho film to produce their plate any finer details held in that
        film should reproduce on the plate. The down side I see is that it's
        a 2nd generation image. Anyone who's shot a copy of a copy of a copy
        will know just how much detail you can get out of that. So while
        they've found a way to improve on the density problem of laser, it
        comes at a cost of reproducing fine detail.