Re: [PPLetterpress] More reading...

  • ken botnick
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      I have been teaching typography for a few years now and almost
      everyone I talk to who teaches says the same thing: ain't no text
      available that's worth much.

      However, this year I ordered Willi Kunz's TYPOGRAPHY: MACRO + MICRO
      AESTHETICS, published by Niggli/Willi Kunz Books, ISBN 3-7212-0348-8.
      It is extremely well organized, has a nice balance of theory and
      practice, and it is really beautifully presented, a very nice
      package, which is important given its price. (I have 'tested' this
      book on a few non-type types and the response has usually been
      something along the lines of "oh, so that's what you do", which I
      have taken to be a good sign.)

      Not only a source of much good typographic information but a very
      nice lesson in book design.

      Ken
      --
      Ken Botnick
      Associate Professor, Visual Communications

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
        Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

        >Would be interested in your critique of ESs book. Is it too German? Gerry?

        Hi Peter

        Not exactly sure what the German reference means. Spiekermann?

        If so, Spiekermann’s well received work for the Unified Berlin Transport
        Authority seems to be quite absent from _Stop Stealing Sheep_. I
        reviewed the first edition in an old _AbraCadaBrA_ and if I were to
        review the second I doubt I would change much.

        Essentially, the book panders, a lot. It came out about the same time as
        Bringhurst's initially, but where _Elements of Typographic Style_ sought
        the high road, _SSS_ definitely went the other way. I'm not sure how
        much of this is Adobe's ( the publlisher) fault. I suspect there is
        something going on there. Adobe came out with its desperate Wild Type
        collection about the time _SSS_ was in manuscript form.

        _SSS_ is a 90s reworking of Spiekermann’s earlier book, _Rhyme & Reason:
        a typographic novel_ (H. Berthold AG, 1987), which had a bit more
        substance and was a bit more accessible, though in retrospect was
        indicative of the cuteness and cleverness and entertainment that would
        follow. But in terms of information design, _SSS_ is completely lacking.
        It is quite difficult to know where you are or to find out what you
        need. (The useful information that is provided, can easily be found in
        other sources.) Since the book seems to be aimed at the "newly
        initiated" to fontography it seems a bit odd that it doesn't provide
        useful directional aids for the reader.

        The second edition seems to have been revised a tad to include a
        contemporary awareness of the impact of the internet, to tone down the
        "effort" to be 90s hip (not very successful), and to include more
        samples of current fontography, less grunge, and more of what we would
        consider today, classic fonts, especially, Adobe fonts.

        But even though the authors' apologize for screwing up Goudy's dictum,
        he meant "blackletter" not "lowercase," they still miss the significance
        of why he said it.