Making negatives using a platemaker - LINK CORRECTION

  • Jacob Groth
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
      Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:

      http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf

      Jacob

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
        I've seen this kind of method used by rubber stamp makers in the past who used photopolymer in their process but didn't have access to a process camera or imagesetter. It's not great for critical work but often satisfactory for general line art. I used to use a similar method before I got a real copy camera (they are pretty much a dime a dozen used now anyway).
        Ed

        >Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:
        >
        >http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf
        >
        >Jacob

      • Jacob Groth
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
          Thanks Ed. I appreciate your insight. I almost went the process camera route but was put off by the size of the equipment and my limited space.

          Jacob

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
            There's been talk on the list before of using laser transparencies
            for platemaking. While it's ok for some rough work the density of the
            toner, even with the help of laser buddy is not enough to directly
            make a plate with sharp detail.

            What they're doing here is different though. They're using the laser
            generated transparency to expose a piece of litho film. This exposure
            is much more "forgiving" than that of a polymer plate because at most
            it's on a second or two exposure. Once they have a good dense peice
            of litho film to produce their plate any finer details held in that
            film should reproduce on the plate. The down side I see is that it's
            a 2nd generation image. Anyone who's shot a copy of a copy of a copy
            will know just how much detail you can get out of that. So while
            they've found a way to improve on the density problem of laser, it
            comes at a cost of reproducing fine detail.