Making negatives using a platemaker

  • Jacob Groth
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
      Greetings All,

      I wonder if any of you have experience with the technique of making negatives using a platemaker? I found the following set of instructions which seem interesting: http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf. (This is a PDF file). This is a technique that some of the students in the UCSB art department use to make photopolymer plates and I'm wondering if anyone on this list has any comments regarding this technique.

      Sincerely,
      Jacob Groth
      El Dorado Hills, CA USA

    • Jacob Groth
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
        Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:

        http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf

        Jacob

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
          I've seen this kind of method used by rubber stamp makers in the past who used photopolymer in their process but didn't have access to a process camera or imagesetter. It's not great for critical work but often satisfactory for general line art. I used to use a similar method before I got a real copy camera (they are pretty much a dime a dozen used now anyway).
          Ed

          >Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:
          >
          >http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf
          >
          >Jacob

        • Jacob Groth
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
            Thanks Ed. I appreciate your insight. I almost went the process camera route but was put off by the size of the equipment and my limited space.

            Jacob

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
              There's been talk on the list before of using laser transparencies
              for platemaking. While it's ok for some rough work the density of the
              toner, even with the help of laser buddy is not enough to directly
              make a plate with sharp detail.

              What they're doing here is different though. They're using the laser
              generated transparency to expose a piece of litho film. This exposure
              is much more "forgiving" than that of a polymer plate because at most
              it's on a second or two exposure. Once they have a good dense peice
              of litho film to produce their plate any finer details held in that
              film should reproduce on the plate. The down side I see is that it's
              a 2nd generation image. Anyone who's shot a copy of a copy of a copy
              will know just how much detail you can get out of that. So while
              they've found a way to improve on the density problem of laser, it
              comes at a cost of reproducing fine detail.