Vandercook Universal 1

  • Richard Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23 6:10 AM
      Hello All,
      I am in the process of rehabbing a Vandercook Universal 1 press. It's been
      sitting unused in the basement of the University for 15-20 years. Yesterday
      we fired it up. All seems to be functioning, but the front roller isn't
      turning. The main drum turns the back roller and vibrator roller and
      distributes the ink nicely. The front roller has a gear on the right side
      that prevents it from turning. What purpose does the front roller serve if
      it doesn't ink the type/block? Should it be turning to distribute ink?
      Thanks
      Ric

      Ric Wilson
      Assistant Professor of Art
      University of Missouri Columbia
      A126 Fine Arts Building
      Columbia, MO 65211-6090
      573.882.4076
    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23 9:58 AM
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Richard Wilson <wilsonra@...> wrote:

        What purpose does the front roller serve if
        > it doesn't ink the type/block? Should it be turning to distribute ink?

        Ric, your front and back rollers have been switched. Gear is on rear
        roller and not on front.
        Eric Holub, SF
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23 10:01 AM
          The front roller should not have a gear on it--it should be driven through he action of the oscillating ink drum, and only the rear roller, closest to the cylinder, should have a gear on it. Remove the front gear, but don't throw it away, and that should solve the problem.

          Fritz

        • jason@greenboathouse.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23 12:04 PM
            [Please forgive off-topic post:]
            Psst, Fritz, what's the secret password to process that order I sent in to you weeks ago? Please respond. Please.

            Jason
            Greenboathouse Press
            jason@...