Re: [PPLetterpress] More reading...

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
      At 9:32 AM -0500 2002-11-02, Katie Harper wrote:
      >I agree with Kathy: one can't have too many books about typography. While
      >on the subject, we mustn't forget Geoffrey Dowding's excellent slim volume,
      >Finer Points in the Spacing and Arranging of Type,

      Ah, be careful with Mr. Dowding.
      His arrangements are actually very poor.

      In any case, do as he says, not as he does.

      Check out the page on 'optical alignment of margins' and see if you can determine the problem. These are visual problems, and have to be solved visually, not mechanically.

      > which I have found doubly
      >useful, since it applies to those of us who set metal perhaps even more than
      >it does for setting digital type for photopolymer. When setting in metal
      >nowadays, I hunt to find 5/em spaces for word spacing rather than 3/m, which
      >now to me looks like such a large space it could house a family of four...
      >
      >As a teacher, I'm always looking for good typography books for students in
      >beginning and intermediate stages. I agree with others on Stop Steeling
      >Sheep, as much as I might admire Eric Spiekerman as a type designer.

      Would be interested in your critique of ESs book. Is it too German? Gerry?

      PF

      Peter Fraterdeus -:- peterf@... -:- Galena, Illinois
      dezineCafe : www.dezinecafe.com | A*IFonts : www.alphabets.com

      http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

      http://www.semiotx.com "Words that work."(tm)

      BookSense http://www.booksense.com
      Independent local booksellers on the web.
    • ken botnick
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
        I have been teaching typography for a few years now and almost
        everyone I talk to who teaches says the same thing: ain't no text
        available that's worth much.

        However, this year I ordered Willi Kunz's TYPOGRAPHY: MACRO + MICRO
        AESTHETICS, published by Niggli/Willi Kunz Books, ISBN 3-7212-0348-8.
        It is extremely well organized, has a nice balance of theory and
        practice, and it is really beautifully presented, a very nice
        package, which is important given its price. (I have 'tested' this
        book on a few non-type types and the response has usually been
        something along the lines of "oh, so that's what you do", which I
        have taken to be a good sign.)

        Not only a source of much good typographic information but a very
        nice lesson in book design.

        Ken
        --
        Ken Botnick
        Associate Professor, Visual Communications

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
          Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

          >Would be interested in your critique of ESs book. Is it too German? Gerry?

          Hi Peter

          Not exactly sure what the German reference means. Spiekermann?

          If so, Spiekermann’s well received work for the Unified Berlin Transport
          Authority seems to be quite absent from _Stop Stealing Sheep_. I
          reviewed the first edition in an old _AbraCadaBrA_ and if I were to
          review the second I doubt I would change much.

          Essentially, the book panders, a lot. It came out about the same time as
          Bringhurst's initially, but where _Elements of Typographic Style_ sought
          the high road, _SSS_ definitely went the other way. I'm not sure how
          much of this is Adobe's ( the publlisher) fault. I suspect there is
          something going on there. Adobe came out with its desperate Wild Type
          collection about the time _SSS_ was in manuscript form.

          _SSS_ is a 90s reworking of Spiekermann’s earlier book, _Rhyme & Reason:
          a typographic novel_ (H. Berthold AG, 1987), which had a bit more
          substance and was a bit more accessible, though in retrospect was
          indicative of the cuteness and cleverness and entertainment that would
          follow. But in terms of information design, _SSS_ is completely lacking.
          It is quite difficult to know where you are or to find out what you
          need. (The useful information that is provided, can easily be found in
          other sources.) Since the book seems to be aimed at the "newly
          initiated" to fontography it seems a bit odd that it doesn't provide
          useful directional aids for the reader.

          The second edition seems to have been revised a tad to include a
          contemporary awareness of the impact of the internet, to tone down the
          "effort" to be 90s hip (not very successful), and to include more
          samples of current fontography, less grunge, and more of what we would
          consider today, classic fonts, especially, Adobe fonts.

          But even though the authors' apologize for screwing up Goudy's dictum,
          he meant "blackletter" not "lowercase," they still miss the significance
          of why he said it.