Re: Caslon Disscussion/Description

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008
      Richard

      Perhaps of interest: I did an article for Parenthesis that includes an
      analysis of Founder's Caslon, the typeface that Justin Howes compiled
      from historical sources. Includes a bit of the history of the face. It
      can be found here:

      http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/2007/07/digital-type-foundries-respond-to.html

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Sykes Jr."
      <yorick220@...> wrote:

      > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
      > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
      > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
      > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
      > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
      > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
      > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
      > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
      > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
      > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
      > Rick

    • Kim Vanderheiden
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
        Rick,
        Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
        across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
        sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
        suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
        recall it, anyway.

        When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
        years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
        read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
        the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
        and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
        was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
        reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
        knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
        in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
        ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
        page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
        and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
        more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
        choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
        made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
        the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
        repute.

        - or so the story went, anyway. . .

        Kim Vanderheiden
        Painted Tongue Press

        Caslon Disscussion/Description
        Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
        Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)

        First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
        I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
        class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
        also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
        typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
        research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
        usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
        are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
        what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
        Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
        Rick

      • Graham and Kathy
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
          It is in Franklin's own letter to Baskerville, that part of which
          Baskerville subsequently used as part of the advert to sell the bible he
          printed (the original full letter is long lost). You'll find it easily
          enough, but check out F. E. Pardoe's biography of John Baskerville,
          available from Oak Knoll Books among others.

          Graham Moss
          Incline Press
          36 Bow Street
          Oldham OL1 1SJ England
          http://www.inclinepress.com

          On 23/10/08 00:00, "Kim Vanderheiden" <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

          > Rick,
          > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
          > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
          > sure whence it came.
        • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
            Thank You that will be very useful.

            Cheers,
            Rick
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press
            <books.inclinepress@...> wrote:

            > > There are several well-researched articles comparing the different
            foundry
            > > interpretations of Caslon in the typographical annual Matrix ­ you
            need to
            > > find a library with the index for the first 21 copies and the
            subsequent four
            > > or five issues. Also somewhere in there is an article about Alan
            Dodson,
            > > typographer, who used Caslon exclusively I think.
            > >
            > Graham Moss
            >

            > Incline Press
            > 36 Bow Street
            > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            > http://www.inclinepress.com
            >

            > > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
            > > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
            > > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
            > > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
            > > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
            > > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
            > > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
            > > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
            > > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
            > > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
            > > Rick

          • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
              Thats kinda a neat story, I will have to see if I can find any further
              documentation on it. Thank you.

              Cheers,
              Rick

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden
              <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

              > Rick,
              > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
              > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
              > sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
              > suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
              > recall it, anyway.
              >
              > When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
              > years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
              > read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
              > the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
              > and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
              > was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
              > reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
              > knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
              > in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
              > ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
              > page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
              > and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
              > more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
              > choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
              > made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
              > the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
              > repute.
              >
              > - or so the story went, anyway. . .
              >
              > Kim Vanderheiden
              > Painted Tongue Press
              >
              > Caslon Disscussion/Description
              > Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
              > Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)
              >
              > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
              > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
              > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
              > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
              > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
              > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
              > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
              > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
              > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
              > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
              > Rick

            • billousek
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
                Rick
                I have an article on Caslon by Allan Halley, author of 'The ABC's of
                Type' and resident type guru at Monotype Imaging. I can photocopy and
                send to you if you PM me your address.
                Bill