Re: [PPLetterpress] Caslon Disscussion/Description

  • Incline Press
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008

      > There are several well-researched articles comparing the different foundry
      > interpretations of Caslon in the typographical annual Matrix ­ you need to
      > find a library with the index for the first 21 copies and the subsequent four
      > or five issues. Also somewhere in there is an article about Alan Dodson,
      > typographer, who used Caslon exclusively I think.

      Graham Moss

      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008
        Richard

        Perhaps of interest: I did an article for Parenthesis that includes an
        analysis of Founder's Caslon, the typeface that Justin Howes compiled
        from historical sources. Includes a bit of the history of the face. It
        can be found here:

        http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/2007/07/digital-type-foundries-respond-to.html

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Sykes Jr."
        <yorick220@...> wrote:

        > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
        > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
        > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
        > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
        > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
        > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
        > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
        > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
        > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
        > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
        > Rick

      • Kim Vanderheiden
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
          Rick,
          Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
          across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
          sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
          suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
          recall it, anyway.

          When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
          years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
          read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
          the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
          and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
          was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
          reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
          knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
          in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
          ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
          page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
          and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
          more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
          choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
          made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
          the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
          repute.

          - or so the story went, anyway. . .

          Kim Vanderheiden
          Painted Tongue Press

          Caslon Disscussion/Description
          Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
          Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)

          First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
          I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
          class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
          also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
          typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
          research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
          usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
          are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
          what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
          Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
          Rick

        • Graham and Kathy
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
            It is in Franklin's own letter to Baskerville, that part of which
            Baskerville subsequently used as part of the advert to sell the bible he
            printed (the original full letter is long lost). You'll find it easily
            enough, but check out F. E. Pardoe's biography of John Baskerville,
            available from Oak Knoll Books among others.

            Graham Moss
            Incline Press
            36 Bow Street
            Oldham OL1 1SJ England
            http://www.inclinepress.com

            On 23/10/08 00:00, "Kim Vanderheiden" <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

            > Rick,
            > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
            > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
            > sure whence it came.
          • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
              Thank You that will be very useful.

              Cheers,
              Rick
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press
              <books.inclinepress@...> wrote:

              > > There are several well-researched articles comparing the different
              foundry
              > > interpretations of Caslon in the typographical annual Matrix ­ you
              need to
              > > find a library with the index for the first 21 copies and the
              subsequent four
              > > or five issues. Also somewhere in there is an article about Alan
              Dodson,
              > > typographer, who used Caslon exclusively I think.
              > >
              > Graham Moss
              >

              > Incline Press
              > 36 Bow Street
              > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              > http://www.inclinepress.com
              >

              > > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
              > > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
              > > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
              > > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
              > > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
              > > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
              > > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
              > > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
              > > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
              > > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
              > > Rick

            • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
                Thats kinda a neat story, I will have to see if I can find any further
                documentation on it. Thank you.

                Cheers,
                Rick

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden
                <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

                > Rick,
                > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
                > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
                > sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
                > suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
                > recall it, anyway.
                >
                > When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
                > years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
                > read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
                > the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
                > and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
                > was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
                > reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
                > knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
                > in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
                > ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
                > page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
                > and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
                > more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
                > choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
                > made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
                > the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
                > repute.
                >
                > - or so the story went, anyway. . .
                >
                > Kim Vanderheiden
                > Painted Tongue Press
                >
                > Caslon Disscussion/Description
                > Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
                > Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)
                >
                > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
                > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
                > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
                > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
                > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
                > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
                > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
                > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
                > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
                > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
                > Rick

              • billousek
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
                  Rick
                  I have an article on Caslon by Allan Halley, author of 'The ABC's of
                  Type' and resident type guru at Monotype Imaging. I can photocopy and
                  send to you if you PM me your address.
                  Bill