Caslon Disscussion/Description

  • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008
      First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
      I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
      class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
      also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
      typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
      research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
      usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
      are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
      what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
      Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
      Rick
    • Incline Press
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008

        > There are several well-researched articles comparing the different foundry
        > interpretations of Caslon in the typographical annual Matrix ­ you need to
        > find a library with the index for the first 21 copies and the subsequent four
        > or five issues. Also somewhere in there is an article about Alan Dodson,
        > typographer, who used Caslon exclusively I think.

        Graham Moss

        Incline Press
        36 Bow Street
        Oldham OL1 1SJ England
        http://www.inclinepress.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2008
          Richard

          Perhaps of interest: I did an article for Parenthesis that includes an
          analysis of Founder's Caslon, the typeface that Justin Howes compiled
          from historical sources. Includes a bit of the history of the face. It
          can be found here:

          http://bielerpressii.blogspot.com/2007/07/digital-type-foundries-respond-to.html

          Gerald

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Sykes Jr."
          <yorick220@...> wrote:

          > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
          > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
          > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
          > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
          > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
          > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
          > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
          > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
          > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
          > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
          > Rick

        • Kim Vanderheiden
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
            Rick,
            Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
            across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
            sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
            suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
            recall it, anyway.

            When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
            years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
            read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
            the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
            and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
            was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
            reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
            knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
            in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
            ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
            page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
            and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
            more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
            choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
            made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
            the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
            repute.

            - or so the story went, anyway. . .

            Kim Vanderheiden
            Painted Tongue Press

            Caslon Disscussion/Description
            Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
            Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)

            First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
            I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
            class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
            also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
            typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
            research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
            usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
            are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
            what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
            Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
            Rick

          • Graham and Kathy
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
              It is in Franklin's own letter to Baskerville, that part of which
              Baskerville subsequently used as part of the advert to sell the bible he
              printed (the original full letter is long lost). You'll find it easily
              enough, but check out F. E. Pardoe's biography of John Baskerville,
              available from Oak Knoll Books among others.

              Graham Moss
              Incline Press
              36 Bow Street
              Oldham OL1 1SJ England
              http://www.inclinepress.com

              On 23/10/08 00:00, "Kim Vanderheiden" <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

              > Rick,
              > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
              > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
              > sure whence it came.
            • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
                Thank You that will be very useful.

                Cheers,
                Rick
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press
                <books.inclinepress@...> wrote:

                > > There are several well-researched articles comparing the different
                foundry
                > > interpretations of Caslon in the typographical annual Matrix ­ you
                need to
                > > find a library with the index for the first 21 copies and the
                subsequent four
                > > or five issues. Also somewhere in there is an article about Alan
                Dodson,
                > > typographer, who used Caslon exclusively I think.
                > >
                > Graham Moss
                >

                > Incline Press
                > 36 Bow Street
                > Oldham OL1 1SJ England
                > http://www.inclinepress.com
                >

                > > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
                > > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
                > > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
                > > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
                > > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
                > > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
                > > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
                > > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
                > > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
                > > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
                > > Rick

              • Richard J. Sykes Jr.
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Thats kinda a neat story, I will have to see if I can find any further
                  documentation on it. Thank you.

                  Cheers,
                  Rick

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden
                  <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

                  > Rick,
                  > Back when I was in college and doing a paper on Baskerville, I came
                  > across a story about Baskerville and Caslon and Ben Franklin. I'm not
                  > sure whence it came. It's only a light story and probably is not
                  > suitable for your paper. But it's sort of fun, so here it is, as I
                  > recall it, anyway.
                  >
                  > When John Baskerville developed his Baskerville font, he spent many
                  > years and much care trying to make it perfect and the most easy to
                  > read of any of the fonts of his time. However, when he released it to
                  > the public, he was soundly thrashed. People strongly preferred Caslon
                  > and insisted Caslon was far easier to read, and that John Baskerville
                  > was pretty much an idiot. Some even went so far as to declare that
                  > reading in Baskerville would cause one to go blind! Well, Ben Franklin
                  > knew hogwash when he heard it. When some such Caslon affectionado was
                  > in his office ranting about foul Baskerville making one blind, good
                  > ol' Ben gave him a page to read that was set in Caslon and another
                  > page that was set in Baskerville. He didn't identify which was which
                  > and asked the other gentleman to tell him which was the clearer and
                  > more legible typeface. As I'm sure you can guess, the gentleman's
                  > choice was Baskerville. Ouch! Too bad I don't think that recognition
                  > made it to John Baskerville in his lifetime. Caslon continued to be
                  > the dominant typeface, and John Baskerville continued to live in poor
                  > repute.
                  >
                  > - or so the story went, anyway. . .
                  >
                  > Kim Vanderheiden
                  > Painted Tongue Press
                  >
                  > Caslon Disscussion/Description
                  > Posted by: "Richard J. Sykes Jr." yorick220@... yorick220
                  > Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:04 pm (PDT)
                  >
                  > First time poster here, and figured this might be a good opener post.
                  > I am doing a research paper on Caslon typeface for my Typography
                  > class, I have amassed a fair amount of resources but figured I might
                  > also throw in the hat here. Looking for anything on the history of the
                  > typeface (Not the Creator) that may be interesting and useful in a
                  > research paper. I also and more importantly wanted to obtain some
                  > usable quotes from current typographers/designers as to what they feel
                  > are the elements of Caslons anatomy which most often identify it, and
                  > what they feel its uses and or limitations as a typeface are.
                  > Thank you in advance for any responses to this topic.
                  > Rick

                • billousek
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
                    Rick
                    I have an article on Caslon by Allan Halley, author of 'The ABC's of
                    Type' and resident type guru at Monotype Imaging. I can photocopy and
                    send to you if you PM me your address.
                    Bill