Re: Pin registering...

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008

      > Going back a bit to this. Bunting Magnetics supplies, as an option,
      > pin registration with its bases. It's not cheap, nor are the bases,
      > nor is the device used for cutting the holes in the plate. I think
      > this was commonplace in industrial practice and may be still.
      [. . .]
      > Everything has to be extra-ordinarily
      > precise and standardized for this to prove itself. If, with such a
      > system, however, you are a point off, well, and remaining in
      > deference to our DIY friends, it's pointless. :—)

      BASF also had a pin registration system for their Nylospeed plates,
      with plates punched and also bent over at the lead edge, and
      Bunting-like base units. Of course, precision (and planning) is
      required in every step from light-table to press-bed.
      My own method is not quite so precise in hole location, but since
      the pins themselves are individual units rather than pinbars, I can
      adjust position by moving a single pin within the lockup. The pins can
      also be positioned anywhere that suits the job (head, tail, sides),
      for plates of various sizes. The 18 pt. x .854" high-base that holds
      the pins also has the benefit of supporting plates that overhang the
      PatMag slightly.
      --Eric Holub, SF