Re: Pin registering...

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2008
      Ray

      If you rely on the Boxcar Grid you can get thrown off. I measured the
      grid on a 9 x 12 tonight and it was a point out of kilter all around.
      Not bad at all, but not so good if you assume it is true to measure.
      Best to hang on to that old line gauge.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
        Ray

        Going back a bit to this. Bunting Magnetics supplies, as an option,
        pin registration with its bases. It's not cheap, nor are the bases,
        nor is the device used for cutting the holes in the plate. I think
        this was commonplace in industrial practice and may be still. I don't
        have a lot of contact with the commercial industry part of all of
        this. But it is still out there.

        I think Bradley Hutchinson had/has some kind of pin registration
        system set up with Patmags. Everything has to be extra-ordinarily
        precise and standardized for this to prove itself. If, with such a
        system, however, you are a point off, well, and remaining in deference
        to our DIY friends, it's pointless. :—)

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ray Nichols <ray@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone ever tried to make photopolymer plates using some kind of
        > pin registration system like offset (did or does) to register colors?
        >
        > . . .
        >
        > Ray Nichols
        > Lead Graffiti
        >
        > . . .
        >
        > http://leadgraffiti.com

      • parallel_imp
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008

          > Going back a bit to this. Bunting Magnetics supplies, as an option,
          > pin registration with its bases. It's not cheap, nor are the bases,
          > nor is the device used for cutting the holes in the plate. I think
          > this was commonplace in industrial practice and may be still.
          [. . .]
          > Everything has to be extra-ordinarily
          > precise and standardized for this to prove itself. If, with such a
          > system, however, you are a point off, well, and remaining in
          > deference to our DIY friends, it's pointless. :—)

          BASF also had a pin registration system for their Nylospeed plates,
          with plates punched and also bent over at the lead edge, and
          Bunting-like base units. Of course, precision (and planning) is
          required in every step from light-table to press-bed.
          My own method is not quite so precise in hole location, but since
          the pins themselves are individual units rather than pinbars, I can
          adjust position by moving a single pin within the lockup. The pins can
          also be positioned anywhere that suits the job (head, tail, sides),
          for plates of various sizes. The 18 pt. x .854" high-base that holds
          the pins also has the benefit of supporting plates that overhang the
          PatMag slightly.
          --Eric Holub, SF