Re:(no subject)

  • Kim Vanderheiden
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2008
      Ron,
      I don't know if you might have one or not, but we use a large Ingento
      36x36" paper cutter that to cut pre-exposed plate material and plates.
      The part that falls down to the tray needs to be brought back up the
      cutter, turned around, and the slight curl at the cut edge needs to be
      trimmed off. We've been using our paper cutter for years at the advice
      of another letterpress printer and it hasn't needed any special
      maintenance as a result. Some students have had trouble getting the
      hang of it at first, but the tricks are:
      1) Keep the plate at the very top, where the blade meets the cutter,
      for best leverage. The cut takes much less force.
      2) Always cut with the plate surface up, and the metal side down.
      3) Hold the plate firmly and cut firmly. Often when a student has
      trouble cutting, it's because they were skittish or ginger about
      making the cut in the first place. Usually this happens with students
      who haven't had a lot of experience with tools. It doesn't really take
      any special degree of force. I'm a pretty slight person and I do it
      all the time.

      Good luck!

      Kim Vanderheiden
      Painted Tongue Press

      (no subject)
      Posted by: "Holcroft Letterpress" rh.letterpress@...
      ronaldholcroft
      Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 pm (PDT)

      Could use some advice on metal magnetic backed photopolymer plate
      cutting. Is there some alternate method of cutting this material,
      other than investing $1500.00 in a metal shear? I am a Letterpress
      shop that has recently begun photopolymer printing.
      Ron Holcroft
      Holcroft Letterpress
      ron.holcroft@...
      www.holcroftletterpress.com
      559.264.FOIL (3645) : tel
      559.264.3646 : fax

    • parallel_imp
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2008
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden
        <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

        > I don't know if you might have one or not, but we use a large Ingento
        > 36x36" paper cutter that to cut pre-exposed plate material and plates.

        I use a different brand, but basically the same wooden table and blade
        hinged to it. At 24", it is just enough leverage to cut through
        unexposed .060" photopolymer. Kim's advise is good, especially the
        back-trimming. I'd add that wiping the blade with a damp rag before
        each cut helps the blade slide through unexposed photopolymer, and
        removes any residue. A gummy blade may lead to grabbing and bending
        over the plate.
        The more expensive Kutrimmer does have a heavier blade, safety guards
        on handle and at cutting edge, clamp, side guide: all real improvements.
        --Eric Holub, SF