Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Roller Supports

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 17, 2008
      Eric makes a good point. Bearers can be used for a multitude of problems.
      They can cause problems with impression if not used properly.

      It is always important to understand the relationship between type, ink
      rollers, and platen. Any change in either requires a change in the others. I
      do more packing behind type than on the platen. I use a variety of type
      fonts. to set up reprints of old broadsides. This type will vary in height
      quite often. My logic - I want the type to be level on top where it comes in
      contact with the ink rollers. I don't care if the feet are even. Packing for
      uneven type on the platen serves the same purpose. I like to get the
      majority of the type inking evenly, then adjust the feet to bring the type
      up to being even. It will now ink even. Platen packing is now obvious.

      I print on flatbed presses quite often with hand brayers. I have never found
      bearers necessary. I use heavy brayers. The brayer has a large core of metal
      which controls the weight and pressure. By using a Brayer with a consistent
      weight, the pressure is consistent. I never apply pressure to the brayer,
      just allow it to ride over the type or image. Perhaps if I were printing
      large expanses of small type I might find a need to support the brayer in
      some instances.

      I think that most of this discussion makes the point that all printers need
      to completely understand the process, equipment, media, and environment
      before applying ink to spatula.

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      Point Pleasant, WV
      austin@...
      HTTP://printsbyaj.com
      >> I just wanted to mention that I use Bearers regularly on my Bobcat
      > Press. [. . .]
      >> I am just attempting to make the point that Bearers have been around
      >> for a long time for use on this type of press.
      >
      > Indeed, Austin. I jumped into this thread so people wouldn't get the
      > idea that those .918" strips just supported the rollers. The same
      > object can be used to compensate for two different problems (in inking
      > and impression
    • Austin Jones