Re: Roller Supports

  • parallel_imp
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 15, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

      > I just wanted to mention that I use Bearers regularly on my Bobcat
      Press. [. . .]
      > I am just attempting to make the point that Bearers have been around
      > for a long time for use on this type of press.

      Indeed, Austin. I jumped into this thread so people wouldn't get the
      idea that those .918" strips just supported the rollers. The same
      object can be used to compensate for two different problems (in inking
      and impression), and be described differently or ambiguously (bearer
      or roller support or roller bearer). How effective they are for either
      problem depends on how they are used, and there are many
      possibilities. If, as Gerald says, you cut away the packing, then they
      won't affect impression and are just roller supports.
      A handpress printer might use both platen bearers and roller
      supports. I get the idea you're inking with balls and don't have a
      need for roller supports. I've seen platen bearers placed in the four
      corners, and also roller supports closer to the form, with packing cut
      away. Platen bearers have also been used to compensate for off-center
      or unbalanced forms on mechanized platens.
      But if you place bearers in a proof press form and don't alter the
      packing, they will definitely contribute to a more even impression,
      something necessary in a foundry/hot-metal repro situation.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Austin Jones
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 17, 2008
        Eric makes a good point. Bearers can be used for a multitude of problems.
        They can cause problems with impression if not used properly.

        It is always important to understand the relationship between type, ink
        rollers, and platen. Any change in either requires a change in the others. I
        do more packing behind type than on the platen. I use a variety of type
        fonts. to set up reprints of old broadsides. This type will vary in height
        quite often. My logic - I want the type to be level on top where it comes in
        contact with the ink rollers. I don't care if the feet are even. Packing for
        uneven type on the platen serves the same purpose. I like to get the
        majority of the type inking evenly, then adjust the feet to bring the type
        up to being even. It will now ink even. Platen packing is now obvious.

        I print on flatbed presses quite often with hand brayers. I have never found
        bearers necessary. I use heavy brayers. The brayer has a large core of metal
        which controls the weight and pressure. By using a Brayer with a consistent
        weight, the pressure is consistent. I never apply pressure to the brayer,
        just allow it to ride over the type or image. Perhaps if I were printing
        large expanses of small type I might find a need to support the brayer in
        some instances.

        I think that most of this discussion makes the point that all printers need
        to completely understand the process, equipment, media, and environment
        before applying ink to spatula.

        Austin Jones
        prints by AJ
        Point Pleasant, WV