Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Online bitmap to vector conversion service

  • Cody L
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2008
      Barbara,

      email it to me. I will help you out with the conversion from what vector magic gave you to the format you are looking to have it to turn into. If they truly gave you a vector file it should be really easy and I can type out a simple step by step depending on the programs that you have on your computer.

      The best way to work with the vector is actually to open it in Adobe Illustrator. Photoshop works ok but Illustrator was created as a vecor based program while Photoshop was created as a pixel based program.

      Converting the file should only take a few minutes an would not be much of a problem. Scaling things up for registration is another story. If you need help you can discuss that offline.

      cody

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
        Greetings All,

        I wonder if any of you have experience with the technique of making negatives using a platemaker? I found the following set of instructions which seem interesting: http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf. (This is a PDF file). This is a technique that some of the students in the UCSB art department use to make photopolymer plates and I'm wondering if anyone on this list has any comments regarding this technique.

        Sincerely,
        Jacob Groth
        El Dorado Hills, CA USA

      • Jacob Groth
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
          Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:

          http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf

          Jacob

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
            I've seen this kind of method used by rubber stamp makers in the past who used photopolymer in their process but didn't have access to a process camera or imagesetter. It's not great for critical work but often satisfactory for general line art. I used to use a similar method before I got a real copy camera (they are pretty much a dime a dozen used now anyway).
            Ed

            >Sorry, the link doesn't work because of the period on the end. So, try this:
            >
            >http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/facilities/printlab/making%20negatives%20for%20photopolymer%20plates.pdf
            >
            >Jacob

          • Jacob Groth
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2008
              Thanks Ed. I appreciate your insight. I almost went the process camera route but was put off by the size of the equipment and my limited space.

              Jacob

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
                There's been talk on the list before of using laser transparencies
                for platemaking. While it's ok for some rough work the density of the
                toner, even with the help of laser buddy is not enough to directly
                make a plate with sharp detail.

                What they're doing here is different though. They're using the laser
                generated transparency to expose a piece of litho film. This exposure
                is much more "forgiving" than that of a polymer plate because at most
                it's on a second or two exposure. Once they have a good dense peice
                of litho film to produce their plate any finer details held in that
                film should reproduce on the plate. The down side I see is that it's
                a 2nd generation image. Anyone who's shot a copy of a copy of a copy
                will know just how much detail you can get out of that. So while
                they've found a way to improve on the density problem of laser, it
                comes at a cost of reproducing fine detail.