Recommended Reading

  • caldrich45
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
      I just purchased a book that I think will be of use to all in this group. "The
      Complete Manual of Typography" by James Felici, Adobe Press, ISBN
      0-321-12730-7 available at Amazon.com. It covers all aspects of setting
      elegant type on the computer and IMHO is an invaluable reference for those
      of us setting type on our computers.
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
        Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a really useful book. I have
        another one to recommend: Making Digital Type Look Good by Bob Gordon
        (Watson-Guptill). One of the most useful parts is Part 2, where there are
        samples of various typefaces at various Quark word/letter/hyphenation
        settings. This mostly deals with print/body setting, but there is also a
        section on typesetting challenges for display and web.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
          --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "caldrich45" <carolealdrich@e...> wrote:
          > I just purchased a book that I think will be of use to all in this
          group. "The
          > Complete Manual of Typography" by James Felici, Adobe Press, ISBN
          > 0-321-12730-7 available at Amazon.com. It covers all aspects of setting
          > elegant type on the computer and IMHO is an invaluable reference for
          those
          > of us setting type on our computers.

          Besides this book there have been a couple other recent type "primers"
          of merit:

          _A Type Primer_ by John Kane
          _Type & Typography_ by Phil Baines & Anderew Haslam

          as well as the second edition of _Stop Stealing Sheep_ (which still
          sucks).

          Gerald
        • Kathy Walkup
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
            Thanks for the cogent and to-the-point comment on Stop Stealing . . . . I
            had this book foisted on me as an emergency hire to teach Typography at a
            local JC, and was horrified. I am amazed that it has lasted long enough to
            warrant a second edition. I do look forward to the other suggestions,
            though (except that I'm going to have to build an annex onto the house to
            contain my books on type).

            Kathy

            Kathleen A. Walkup
            Associate Professor
            Director, Book Arts Program
            Mills College
            5000 MacArthur Blvd.
            Oakland CA 94613

            510 430 2001/tel
            510 430 3314/fax
            kwalk@...

            On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Gerald Lange wrote:

            > --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "caldrich45" <carolealdrich@e...> wrote:
            > > I just purchased a book that I think will be of use to all in this
            > group. "The
            > > Complete Manual of Typography" by James Felici, Adobe Press, ISBN
            > > 0-321-12730-7 available at Amazon.com. It covers all aspects of setting
            > > elegant type on the computer and IMHO is an invaluable reference for
            > those
            > > of us setting type on our computers.
            >

            > Besides this book there have been a couple other recent type "primers"
            > of merit:
            >
            > _A Type Primer_ by John Kane
            > _Type & Typography_ by Phil Baines & Anderew Haslam
            >
            > as well as the second edition of _Stop Stealing Sheep_ (which still
            > sucks).

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > • Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > • To unsubscribe:

          • Katie Harper
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
              I agree with Kathy: one can't have too many books about typography. While
              on the subject, we mustn't forget Geoffrey Dowding's excellent slim volume,
              Finer Points in the Spacing and Arranging of Type, which I have found doubly
              useful, since it applies to those of us who set metal perhaps even more than
              it does for setting digital type for photopolymer. When setting in metal
              nowadays, I hunt to find 5/em spaces for word spacing rather than 3/m, which
              now to me looks like such a large space it could house a family of four...

              As a teacher, I'm always looking for good typography books for students in
              beginning and intermediate stages. I agree with others on Stop Steeling
              Sheep, as much as I might admire Eric Spiekerman as a type designer. So many
              otherwise interesting or useful books on design or typography are themselves
              way over-designed and therefore rendered just about useless.

              Gerald: The two books you recommended:

              >> _A Type Primer_ by John Kane
              >> _Type & Typography_ by Phil Baines & Anderew Haslam

              would you say those are good for beginners?

              Katie Harper

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2002
                At 9:32 AM -0500 2002-11-02, Katie Harper wrote:
                >I agree with Kathy: one can't have too many books about typography. While
                >on the subject, we mustn't forget Geoffrey Dowding's excellent slim volume,
                >Finer Points in the Spacing and Arranging of Type,

                Ah, be careful with Mr. Dowding.
                His arrangements are actually very poor.

                In any case, do as he says, not as he does.

                Check out the page on 'optical alignment of margins' and see if you can determine the problem. These are visual problems, and have to be solved visually, not mechanically.

                > which I have found doubly
                >useful, since it applies to those of us who set metal perhaps even more than
                >it does for setting digital type for photopolymer. When setting in metal
                >nowadays, I hunt to find 5/em spaces for word spacing rather than 3/m, which
                >now to me looks like such a large space it could house a family of four...
                >
                >As a teacher, I'm always looking for good typography books for students in
                >beginning and intermediate stages. I agree with others on Stop Steeling
                >Sheep, as much as I might admire Eric Spiekerman as a type designer.

                Would be interested in your critique of ESs book. Is it too German? Gerry?

                PF

                Peter Fraterdeus -:- peterf@... -:- Galena, Illinois
                dezineCafe : www.dezinecafe.com | A*IFonts : www.alphabets.com

                http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
                Magical Images from the Moon's Garden!

                http://www.semiotx.com "Words that work."(tm)

                BookSense http://www.booksense.com
                Independent local booksellers on the web.
              • ken botnick
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
                  I have been teaching typography for a few years now and almost
                  everyone I talk to who teaches says the same thing: ain't no text
                  available that's worth much.

                  However, this year I ordered Willi Kunz's TYPOGRAPHY: MACRO + MICRO
                  AESTHETICS, published by Niggli/Willi Kunz Books, ISBN 3-7212-0348-8.
                  It is extremely well organized, has a nice balance of theory and
                  practice, and it is really beautifully presented, a very nice
                  package, which is important given its price. (I have 'tested' this
                  book on a few non-type types and the response has usually been
                  something along the lines of "oh, so that's what you do", which I
                  have taken to be a good sign.)

                  Not only a source of much good typographic information but a very
                  nice lesson in book design.

                  Ken
                  --
                  Ken Botnick
                  Associate Professor, Visual Communications

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
                    Peter Fraterdeus wrote:

                    >Would be interested in your critique of ESs book. Is it too German? Gerry?

                    Hi Peter

                    Not exactly sure what the German reference means. Spiekermann?

                    If so, Spiekermann’s well received work for the Unified Berlin Transport
                    Authority seems to be quite absent from _Stop Stealing Sheep_. I
                    reviewed the first edition in an old _AbraCadaBrA_ and if I were to
                    review the second I doubt I would change much.

                    Essentially, the book panders, a lot. It came out about the same time as
                    Bringhurst's initially, but where _Elements of Typographic Style_ sought
                    the high road, _SSS_ definitely went the other way. I'm not sure how
                    much of this is Adobe's ( the publlisher) fault. I suspect there is
                    something going on there. Adobe came out with its desperate Wild Type
                    collection about the time _SSS_ was in manuscript form.

                    _SSS_ is a 90s reworking of Spiekermann’s earlier book, _Rhyme & Reason:
                    a typographic novel_ (H. Berthold AG, 1987), which had a bit more
                    substance and was a bit more accessible, though in retrospect was
                    indicative of the cuteness and cleverness and entertainment that would
                    follow. But in terms of information design, _SSS_ is completely lacking.
                    It is quite difficult to know where you are or to find out what you
                    need. (The useful information that is provided, can easily be found in
                    other sources.) Since the book seems to be aimed at the "newly
                    initiated" to fontography it seems a bit odd that it doesn't provide
                    useful directional aids for the reader.

                    The second edition seems to have been revised a tad to include a
                    contemporary awareness of the impact of the internet, to tone down the
                    "effort" to be 90s hip (not very successful), and to include more
                    samples of current fontography, less grunge, and more of what we would
                    consider today, classic fonts, especially, Adobe fonts.

                    But even though the authors' apologize for screwing up Goudy's dictum,
                    he meant "blackletter" not "lowercase," they still miss the significance
                    of why he said it.