Help identifying ATF type...

  • Jason Dewinetz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I've recently acquired a large collection of types and have a few that
      I've been unable to confirm. I've posted image samples of each at the
      Typophile website (but haven't had much of a response), and if any of
      you had time to take a look, I'd appreciate any feedback on
      identifying these 4 faces.

      http://typophile.com/node/49187

      Thanks,

      Jason Dewinetz
      Greenboathouse Press
    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
        Jason,

        The B-7 italic appears to be Caslon Medium Italic (BBS) as shown in McGrew.
        The A-6 gothic could be Gothic No. 578 (ATF) in McGrew (although the tail of
        the G in your sample is tapered) or Franklin Gothic Wide (although the C in
        your sample does not have angled ends). Are there any pinmarks on the type
        indicating the foundry, or ATF numbers on the cap H?

        Matt Kelsey

      • jason@greenboathouse.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
          Hi Matt,

          Thanks for the details. I'm actually awaiting a copy of McGrew, which I ordered a couple of weeks ago, so thanks for pointing out that the B7 italic is in there. It's been clear that it was a Caslon, but I just couldn't pin down which one.

          The A6 is definitely an extended/wide Franklin, and I've found a digital match, but I'll have a look at the No.578 when my McGrew gets here to see how well it matches.

          I'll check for pin-marks & ATF numbers when I get home tonight.

          Thanks gain,