Skip to search.

Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs

  • Mark Attwood
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
      Hi Katie,

      theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
      but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
      ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
      transparent colours.

      Mark.

      Mark Attwood

      The Artists' Press
      Box 623
      Newtown
      2113
      South Africa

      Tel. +27 11 836 5474
      fax. +27 11 836 6858
      mark@...

      ----------

    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
        Thanks to all who responded to my query about ink additives. When I was in
        graduate school as a printmaker, I once had a half day workshop on ink
        additives... I confess I wasn't as enthralled as I might have been, not
        thinking it probably would be useful one day...

        I also got another reply offline from Dan at Indian Hill press, and am
        posting it here for those of you who were curious, as I was, about "Wax-free
        inks."

        Dear Katie:

        Just got your bulletin on the Letterpress list.

        Wax-free inks are important to printers who to do hot foil-stamping
        on top of a printed surface. If the ink contains wax, the heat will
        melt it and the foil will not adhere. Wax-free ink generally dries
        very quickly, so don't leave it on your press overnight. It is also a
        specialty ink, and more expensive than general job inks.

        Best,
        Dan Waters
        Indian Hill Press

        Remember: Book arts will save the world!

        > From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
        > Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:29:29 +0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
        >
        > Hi Katie,
        >
        > theoretically whatever additive you put in the ink should affect the colour,
        > but I guess the amount is so small compared to the amount of pigment in the
        > ink that it is not noticeable, except for perhaps really light or
        > transparent colours.
        >
        > Mark.
        >

        > Mark Attwood
        >
        > The Artists' Press
        > Box 623
        > Newtown
        > 2113
        > South Africa
        >
        > Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        > fax. +27 11 836 6858
        > mark@...
        >

        > ----------
        >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
        >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
        >> Date: Sun, Sep 9, 2001, 1:07 pm
        >>

        >> Dear Mark and Chris:
        >>
        >> I'm used to mag carbonate but have not heard about the products that you
        >> like that add extra body to inks. My question is this: do they add any color
        >> at all? Seems like something like the white Chris describes or even the
        >> "window putty" that Mark likes would also tend to change the color of the
        >> ink that it is mixed with.
        >>
        >> I just purchased an entire letterpress shop that includes, among many other
        >> wonderful things, cans and cans and cans of ink, mostly in 5# cans, all
        >> sealed as new. I have no idea what type of ink they contain, but I suspect
        >> that the guy who owned the shop I purchased probably himself purchased
        >> another letterpress shop going out of business, although these could well be
        >> offset inks. Most were packed about 1990-91. One description, for example,
        >> from the Wickoff Color Corporation, is for PMS 279 Blue Wax Free. Does
        >> anyone know what type of ink this is?
        >>
        >> Katie Harper
        >>

        >> Remember: Book arts will save the world!
        >>

        >>> From: "Mark Attwood" <mark@...>
        >>> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 14:37:31 +0000
        >>> To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >>> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Ink prefs
        >>>
        >>> Hi Gerald,
        >>>
        >>> I don't know what the ingredients of aerosol/Arosil? are, but I first heard
        >>> about it from someone at Smith College, USA, and when I spoke to the local
        >>> Johannesburg ink manufacturers (two different ones), they knew exactly what
        >>> I was talking about, and could give me what I wanted.
        >>>
        >>> Let me know if you find out the correct name!
        >>>
        >>> regards,
        >>> Mark.
        >>>

        >>> Mark Attwood
        >>>
        >>> The Artists' Press
        >>> Box 623
        >>> Newtown
        >>> 2113
        >>> South Africa
        >>>
        >>> Tel. +27 11 836 5474
        >>> fax. +27 11 836 6858
        >>> mark@...
        >>>

        >>> ----------

      • Terrence Chouinard
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
          > I never had much luck with
          > magnesium carbonate and it doesn't work nearly as well as this LCC.

          Chris
          I'm guessing the LCC doesn't dry out your ink as fast as magnesium carbonate
          does. Any sense if this is the case or not?

          Terry

          Terrence Chouinard
          the Wing & the Wheel Press
          Box 216