Re: Bauer Barcelona

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
      A fellow letterpess printer, Matt Kelsey, inquired of me about the
      Bauer Foundry in Barcelona, as he planned a visit in August. Too
      late, unfortunately:

      "Sorry to tell you that we have ceased to cast metal types. WE keep a
      few fonts in stock, but we are unable to cut them to American height
      .918. We just continue here at Bauer Types the sale of digital type-
      faces." Wolfgang Hartmann

      I have no information on the disposition of matrices or equipment.
      I presume it goes to the University of Barcelona School of Graphic
      Arts; they already have the casting machines above 36 point.

      Norman McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
        Ah, too bad. I knew I should have bought some of that lovely Bodoni!
        When I was last in Barcelona, I had a lovely visit with Wolfgang and
        his daughter, Vivian (who is in charge of the digital program).

        Seemed like they were moving this direction in 2004.
        I imagine that metal is just too expensive to ship, and the demand is
        very small...

        PF

        On 13 Aug 2008, at 8:45 PM, Norman L McKnight wrote:

        > A fellow letterpess printer, Matt Kelsey, inquired of me about the
        > Bauer Foundry in Barcelona, as he planned a visit in August. Too
        > late, unfortunately:
        >
        > "Sorry to tell you that we have ceased to cast metal types. WE keep a
        > few fonts in stock, but we are unable to cut them to American height
        > .918. We just continue here at Bauer Types the sale of digital type-
        > faces." Wolfgang Hartmann
        >
        > I have no information on the disposition of matrices or equipment.
        > I presume it goes to the University of Barcelona School of Graphic
        > Arts; they already have the casting machines above 36 point.
        >
        > Norman McKnight
        > Philoxenia Press
        > Berkeley

        Peter Fraterdeus