Re: [PPLetterpress] Cuteness and Green Design for a Brighter, Cuter Future

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
      I completely agree. I've been embarrassed to be a protester mingling
      with the left of the left. My heart's in the right place...but the
      company is highly questionable, especially to me.

      The cute animals with human qualities may appeal on some level to the
      child in many of us, but design is king, and we've got disaster on our
      hands. We'll never solve our environmental challenges preaching to the
      choir. You have to reach the Thickies on the Right. I don't know how we
      will do that if we don't use Bryan's hint by going with the strong, bold
      graphics of hope and doom employed to motivate the illiterate masses
      during the 30s.

      --Scott

      bryan@... wrote:
      > I've always said one the main faults with the Left has been their
      > dismal approach to visual communication. It's the hand-scrawled sign
      > at demonstrations that are meant to convey an idea, but end up
      > looking more like a random blurb of a mentally ill person. The idea
      > is spot-on, but the manner in which they choose to convey it ends up
      > having a negative impact.
      >
      > The importance of visual communication has been grasped successfully
      > by the right-wing. Take a look at Fox News. They stick with simple,
      > primary-color based graphics and an easy to use graphic interface
      > targeting the lowest cultural common denominator, simplicity and
      > ignorance. Hitler & Stalin both recognized the importance of visually
      > luring sheep into submission. Fox News is now having taking their
      > shot at it too.
      >
      > When the left begins to present their ideas in a manner that embraces
      > our innate visual need, they'll make some progress. Unfortunately,
      > the left, being heavily influenced by the nerd-academic cultural,
      > relies primarily on the merits of an idea. Being printers, we all
      > know how awfully short-sighted that can be.
      >
      > The Fox News recognition of visual importance extends to their choice
      > of people to represent differing viewpoints. They regularly choose
      > very unattractive people, often inarticulate, to represent the left
      > view in a "discussion".
      >
      > And this is where the Left misses the importance of "cute", and the
      > Right has zeroed in on it's importance to an adult viewer.

    • nealnatemom
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
        I must take offense at the term "Thickies on the Right". I am all for environmental policies
        that make sense - but many do not. I have had recent communication with a "friend' who
        is now holding a grudge against me for sending an email that promoted some of the
        issues I hold near and dear to me - lower taxes among them - not exactly an open-
        minded sort. I am a struggling business owner who holds all life to be dear, especially
        human, and am an independent voter who happens to vote with the right most of the
        time. Please do not assume we are all left-leaning. Anyway, as far back as Bill Clinton, the
        left has gleefully embraced "style over substance", so I believe your premise in this thread
        is faulty, as I have seen quite a bit of "slickness" on the left and some "hokiness" on the
        right.--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

        > I completely agree. I've been embarrassed to be a protester mingling
        > with the left of the left. My heart's in the right place...but the
        > company is highly questionable, especially to me.
        >
        > The cute animals with human qualities may appeal on some level to the
        > child in many of us, but design is king, and we've got disaster on our
        > hands. We'll never solve our environmental challenges preaching to the
        > choir. You have to reach the Thickies on the Right. I don't know how we
        > will do that if we don't use Bryan's hint by going with the strong, bold
        > graphics of hope and doom employed to motivate the illiterate masses
        > during the 30s.
        >
        > --Scott
        >
        > bryan@... wrote:
        > > I've always said one the main faults with the Left has been their
        > > dismal approach to visual communication. It's the hand-scrawled sign
        > > at demonstrations that are meant to convey an idea, but end up
        > > looking more like a random blurb of a mentally ill person. The idea
        > > is spot-on, but the manner in which they choose to convey it ends up
        > > having a negative impact.
        > >
        > > The importance of visual communication has been grasped successfully
        > > by the right-wing. Take a look at Fox News. They stick with simple,
        > > primary-color based graphics and an easy to use graphic interface
        > > targeting the lowest cultural common denominator, simplicity and
        > > ignorance. Hitler & Stalin both recognized the importance of visually
        > > luring sheep into submission. Fox News is now having taking their
        > > shot at it too.
        > >
        > > When the left begins to present their ideas in a manner that embraces
        > > our innate visual need, they'll make some progress. Unfortunately,
        > > the left, being heavily influenced by the nerd-academic cultural,
        > > relies primarily on the merits of an idea. Being printers, we all
        > > know how awfully short-sighted that can be.
        > >
        > > The Fox News recognition of visual importance extends to their choice
        > > of people to represent differing viewpoints. They regularly choose
        > > very unattractive people, often inarticulate, to represent the left
        > > view in a "discussion".
        > >
        > > And this is where the Left misses the importance of "cute", and the
        > > Right has zeroed in on it's importance to an adult viewer.

      • T Howard
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
          Oh there's still a "Left" which does not equate to "Liberal". There are always those who don't learn from history - or who don't understand the ubiquitous nature of the "law of unintended consequences". ;-)

          If anyone cares, the more I learn and see, the more conservative I become.
          It's amusing that "sustainability" is seen as something new, instead of the way things were until about 30 years ago...

          Tina

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
            Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this thread. I
            imagine it must be more appropriate for another group. Thank you.
            Kevin Rudynski
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
              Agreed.

              Gerald
              PPL

              > Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this thread. I
              > imagine it must be more appropriate for another group. Thank you.
              > Kevin Rudynski

            • Nicholas
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                May I second Kevin's request. As a professor, the references to crackpot academics stings. As an amateur printer wanting to learn more about the craft, I dislike having to plow through political spam looking for items that pertain to presses, their history and operation.

                T. J. Ray

                > Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this
                > thread. I
                > imagine it must be more appropriate for another group.
                > Thank you.
                > Kevin Rudynski
              • Eileen Callahan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2008
                  If politics and letterpress were indeed the subject, than we should
                  talk about Tom Paine. Let's end this discussion, and urge everyone to
                  "work as though you were at the beginning of a new nation."-

                  Eileen

                  --
                  >Love and love and love again,
                  >(what else is there?)