Re: Cuteness and Green Design for a Brighter, Cuter Future

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2008
      Sorry about that. Posted to the wrong list. Have removed.

      Gerald

      > "Cute" article, indeed...but I'll admit that I'm not finding the
      relevance
      > of this comment to printing from photopolymer.
      >
      > Harold
      >
      > --
      > ---
      > Boxcar Press
      > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
      > Syracuse, NY 13204
      > www.boxcarpress.com

    • Casey McGarr
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 11, 2008
        I would really like to read where you're posting this Gerald. Sounds
        like an interesting topic, can you shoot me over a link. Thanks

        Casey McGarr
        Inky Lips Letterpress
        Everything that is fun
        www.inkylipspress.com

        Yours Truly Letterpress
        Invitations and Stationary
        www.yourstrulyletterpress.com

        8600 Spectrum Drive, McKinney, TX, 75070
        p 469 742 0080, toll free 1 866 487 3801

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 11, 2008
          Phenomenology. Tough love. Not exactly for the uninitiated.

          Gerald

        • bryan@manifestopress.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
            I've always said one the main faults with the Left has been their
            dismal approach to visual communication. It's the hand-scrawled sign
            at demonstrations that are meant to convey an idea, but end up
            looking more like a random blurb of a mentally ill person. The idea
            is spot-on, but the manner in which they choose to convey it ends up
            having a negative impact.

            The importance of visual communication has been grasped successfully
            by the right-wing. Take a look at Fox News. They stick with simple,
            primary-color based graphics and an easy to use graphic interface
            targeting the lowest cultural common denominator, simplicity and
            ignorance. Hitler & Stalin both recognized the importance of visually
            luring sheep into submission. Fox News is now having taking their
            shot at it too.

            When the left begins to present their ideas in a manner that embraces
            our innate visual need, they'll make some progress. Unfortunately,
            the left, being heavily influenced by the nerd-academic cultural,
            relies primarily on the merits of an idea. Being printers, we all
            know how awfully short-sighted that can be.

            The Fox News recognition of visual importance extends to their choice
            of people to represent differing viewpoints. They regularly choose
            very unattractive people, often inarticulate, to represent the left
            view in a "discussion".

            And this is where the Left misses the importance of "cute", and the
            Right has zeroed in on it's importance to an adult viewer.
          • Scott Rubel
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
              I completely agree. I've been embarrassed to be a protester mingling
              with the left of the left. My heart's in the right place...but the
              company is highly questionable, especially to me.

              The cute animals with human qualities may appeal on some level to the
              child in many of us, but design is king, and we've got disaster on our
              hands. We'll never solve our environmental challenges preaching to the
              choir. You have to reach the Thickies on the Right. I don't know how we
              will do that if we don't use Bryan's hint by going with the strong, bold
              graphics of hope and doom employed to motivate the illiterate masses
              during the 30s.

              --Scott

              bryan@... wrote:
              > I've always said one the main faults with the Left has been their
              > dismal approach to visual communication. It's the hand-scrawled sign
              > at demonstrations that are meant to convey an idea, but end up
              > looking more like a random blurb of a mentally ill person. The idea
              > is spot-on, but the manner in which they choose to convey it ends up
              > having a negative impact.
              >
              > The importance of visual communication has been grasped successfully
              > by the right-wing. Take a look at Fox News. They stick with simple,
              > primary-color based graphics and an easy to use graphic interface
              > targeting the lowest cultural common denominator, simplicity and
              > ignorance. Hitler & Stalin both recognized the importance of visually
              > luring sheep into submission. Fox News is now having taking their
              > shot at it too.
              >
              > When the left begins to present their ideas in a manner that embraces
              > our innate visual need, they'll make some progress. Unfortunately,
              > the left, being heavily influenced by the nerd-academic cultural,
              > relies primarily on the merits of an idea. Being printers, we all
              > know how awfully short-sighted that can be.
              >
              > The Fox News recognition of visual importance extends to their choice
              > of people to represent differing viewpoints. They regularly choose
              > very unattractive people, often inarticulate, to represent the left
              > view in a "discussion".
              >
              > And this is where the Left misses the importance of "cute", and the
              > Right has zeroed in on it's importance to an adult viewer.

            • nealnatemom
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                I must take offense at the term "Thickies on the Right". I am all for environmental policies
                that make sense - but many do not. I have had recent communication with a "friend' who
                is now holding a grudge against me for sending an email that promoted some of the
                issues I hold near and dear to me - lower taxes among them - not exactly an open-
                minded sort. I am a struggling business owner who holds all life to be dear, especially
                human, and am an independent voter who happens to vote with the right most of the
                time. Please do not assume we are all left-leaning. Anyway, as far back as Bill Clinton, the
                left has gleefully embraced "style over substance", so I believe your premise in this thread
                is faulty, as I have seen quite a bit of "slickness" on the left and some "hokiness" on the
                right.--- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

                > I completely agree. I've been embarrassed to be a protester mingling
                > with the left of the left. My heart's in the right place...but the
                > company is highly questionable, especially to me.
                >
                > The cute animals with human qualities may appeal on some level to the
                > child in many of us, but design is king, and we've got disaster on our
                > hands. We'll never solve our environmental challenges preaching to the
                > choir. You have to reach the Thickies on the Right. I don't know how we
                > will do that if we don't use Bryan's hint by going with the strong, bold
                > graphics of hope and doom employed to motivate the illiterate masses
                > during the 30s.
                >
                > --Scott
                >
                > bryan@... wrote:
                > > I've always said one the main faults with the Left has been their
                > > dismal approach to visual communication. It's the hand-scrawled sign
                > > at demonstrations that are meant to convey an idea, but end up
                > > looking more like a random blurb of a mentally ill person. The idea
                > > is spot-on, but the manner in which they choose to convey it ends up
                > > having a negative impact.
                > >
                > > The importance of visual communication has been grasped successfully
                > > by the right-wing. Take a look at Fox News. They stick with simple,
                > > primary-color based graphics and an easy to use graphic interface
                > > targeting the lowest cultural common denominator, simplicity and
                > > ignorance. Hitler & Stalin both recognized the importance of visually
                > > luring sheep into submission. Fox News is now having taking their
                > > shot at it too.
                > >
                > > When the left begins to present their ideas in a manner that embraces
                > > our innate visual need, they'll make some progress. Unfortunately,
                > > the left, being heavily influenced by the nerd-academic cultural,
                > > relies primarily on the merits of an idea. Being printers, we all
                > > know how awfully short-sighted that can be.
                > >
                > > The Fox News recognition of visual importance extends to their choice
                > > of people to represent differing viewpoints. They regularly choose
                > > very unattractive people, often inarticulate, to represent the left
                > > view in a "discussion".
                > >
                > > And this is where the Left misses the importance of "cute", and the
                > > Right has zeroed in on it's importance to an adult viewer.

              • T Howard
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                  Oh there's still a "Left" which does not equate to "Liberal". There are always those who don't learn from history - or who don't understand the ubiquitous nature of the "law of unintended consequences". ;-)

                  If anyone cares, the more I learn and see, the more conservative I become.
                  It's amusing that "sustainability" is seen as something new, instead of the way things were until about 30 years ago...

                  Tina

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                    Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this thread. I
                    imagine it must be more appropriate for another group. Thank you.
                    Kevin Rudynski
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                      Agreed.

                      Gerald
                      PPL

                      > Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this thread. I
                      > imagine it must be more appropriate for another group. Thank you.
                      > Kevin Rudynski

                    • Nicholas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 12, 2008
                        May I second Kevin's request. As a professor, the references to crackpot academics stings. As an amateur printer wanting to learn more about the craft, I dislike having to plow through political spam looking for items that pertain to presses, their history and operation.

                        T. J. Ray

                        > Respectfully, I request that the moderator(s) end this
                        > thread. I
                        > imagine it must be more appropriate for another group.
                        > Thank you.
                        > Kevin Rudynski
                      • Eileen Callahan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 13, 2008
                          If politics and letterpress were indeed the subject, than we should
                          talk about Tom Paine. Let's end this discussion, and urge everyone to
                          "work as though you were at the beginning of a new nation."-

                          Eileen

                          --
                          >Love and love and love again,
                          >(what else is there?)