Helen Hiebert Workshop

  • Jules Remedios Faye
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 6:55 PM
      Helen Hiebert Workshop at Bison Bookbinding & Letterpress
      Paper Lamps & Lanterns
      Aug 2-3; Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm

      Renowned paper artist, Helen Hiebert, will join us for a creative weekend
      creating paper lamps, screens, and structures. Helen helped revolutionize
      our papermaking and drying process. We are honored to have her return for
      this special class.

      Learn how to make a foam core armature, wind reed around it and then apply a
      paper covering to create a beautiful collapsible paper lantern. After
      applying the paper, we'll remove the armature (which can be reused to make
      more lanterns!), and end up with a collapsible structure. A variety of
      lantern shapes will be explored, and variations on the process will be
      introduced. Next, we¹ll explore a variety of ways to make balsa wood framed
      panels which can be adjoined to create lanterns, screens or book structures.
      Each participant will create a shadow lantern or screen, featuring cut-outs
      that cast shadows onto a second layer of paper.

      The cost of this workshop is $150 per person, plus a $45 materials fee.
      Price includes snacks and a healthy lunch provided by the Co-op¹s Swan Café.
      Enrollment fees can be paid by credit card or check at Bison, or by credit
      card over the phone. This workshop is limited to 10 people, so please make
      your booking as early as possible to ensure your spot.

      --

      One of One

      On the evening of August 5th, Bison will unveil our new studio/art gallery,
      One of One, with a show of Helen Hiebert¹s fiber artistry entitled, Untied.
      One of One will serve a host of functions as an art gallery, studio space,
      workshop area, and more.

      Bison Bookbinding & Letterpress
      1420 North State Street
      Bellingham, WA 98225