9936Re: tips for mixing ink?

  • Rodney Grantham
    Jul 7, 2008
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, sylvia chevrier
      <sylviachevrier@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have advice for accurately mixing small amounts of ink
      > from Pantone formulas? For most projects I rarely need more than an
      > ounce of ink, sometimes even half an ounce will do. I find it
      > especially difficult to translate formulas with large percentage
      > variances (for example-- 1-1/4 part red / 2 parts yellow / 27 parts
      > white) accurately into very small amounts. I have a postage scale
      but
      > often just have to make a guess, as the tiny amounts of ink are too
      > light to register on the scale. Thanks for any suggestions.

      Digital scales are cheap, usually less than $15 with shipping for a
      250 gram scale on eBay. These scales have a tare feature, so a glass
      plate can be placed on the scale and ink added for precise mixing.

      A mixing plate is handy, so if you happen to get a little too much
      ink on the plate, the overage can be removed to keep accurate weight.

      We use a 6" x 8" piece of 1/4" plate glass for mixing small amounts
      in our print shop and 8" x 12" for larger quantities of ink.

      To answer your concern about mixing, the common multiplier for your
      example is 4. Mix 5 parts red, 8 yellow and 108 white. Use the .1
      gram divisions for VERY small quantities. For example put 10.8 grams
      of white, add .8 grams of yellow (11.6) and .5 grams red for a total
      weight of 12.1 grams or about .43 ounces. Take the glass of the scale
      and mix with a clean knife. Use a clean ink knife for each color.

      Rod
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic