9924Re: [PPLetterpress] Imagesetter and Jacob

  • Jacob Groth
    Jul 6, 2008
      Hi Amber,

      Just got to reading my emails and saw your post. I read some of the other
      preliminary investigations. Everyone's situation is different and so it
      will ultimately come down to how much time you want to invest in this stage
      of the process. If you believe you will be needing to produce large volumes
      of negatives and can justify the investment of time to learn how to use and
      maintain the equipment, then there are definitely some good deals out there.
      I found that the cost of purchasing the equipment was not much, if anything.
      As previously mentioned in another post, most professional firms are taking
      advantage of the newer computer-to-plate technology.

      For me, the trouble of maintenance was more than I wanted to get involved
      with. If your ultimate goal is to spend most of your time in actual
      printing, then I would recommend outsourcing your negatives and/or plates
      and save yourself some time to spend investing in your printing skills.
      Additionally, as has been the case in all technology, everything will
      eventually become affordable in the future. So, I wouldn't be surprised
      that in 5 years or so we'll have the means to either make negatives or even
      plates directly from our desktop.

      Jacob Groth
      El Dorado Hills, CA