9776Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Material to make large printing blocks

  • Erik Desmyter
    May 4, 2008
      Brian,

      I normally start with an end mill which works only in X & Y on a depth of
      for example 5mm and this one takes away most material and does first the
      rough work. In the last finishing step I use a 60 degree V-bits for all the
      edges and fine details and this one goes three dimensional X, Y & Z because
      you need the fragile sharp top of the V-bit to cut out the sharp edges and
      small details. I use several softwares including signmaking software very
      similar to ArtCam to finally come to a WinPC-NC file on which this
      CNC-router runs.

      Buying large panels of new Corian is indeed a problem but some authorized
      fabricators are selling their scrap on eBay at reduced prices and some less
      popular colors can go really cheap. In Europe there are some companies where
      you can order cut to size panels in all the different colors but this is
      still expensive. Another possibility could be 1 ΒΌ" thick PVC which is used
      as a replacement for wood like this AZEK To Mill (ATM) which is made in
      sheet sizes of 4 ft x 8 ft:
      http://www.azek.com/viewProduct.php?id=12
      I don't know this ATM material here in Europe and haven't tested it but it
      looks interesting at first sight and is probably cheaper than Corian.

      Regards,
      Erik