9682Re: Inks

  • splitflexi
    Apr 10, 2008
      Lamp black, or carbon black, is considered a probable carcinogen.
      Traditionally collected from oil-burning lamps (linseed? whale?
      walnut?), today made by incomplete combustion of petroleum distillates.

      It's called "burnt," because it is BURNT. "Plate" is a reference to
      the intaglio matrix. Burnt plate oil is the traditional vehicle in
      printing ink, and is/was created by heating raw linseed oil until it
      spontaneously combusts and reduces to a thickened mass. Ink making,
      commonly done in-house prior to the nineteenth century, was known to
      be a hazardous endeavour and the cause of many fires in printshops.

      Incidentally, "boiled" linseed oil, as I understand it, is/was
      heat-bodied (not burnt) and doped with a dryer, such as litharge.

      I learned that from reading books, specifically contemporary and
      antique manuals and treatises on printing and printmaking. Very handy.
      Not sure what the Standard Internet Definitions are.

      Duncan Dempster
      Honolulu, Hawaii

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Davidson