968Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Vandercook models

  • Fritz Klinke
    Oct 17, 2002
      Hal Sterne, one of the former owners of Vandercook and NA Graphics, has been
      working on a history of Vandercook and I will be assisting him this winter
      in furnishing material from the Vandercook records. I have most of the
      information Imke is asking about, but it is not in a form that can be shared
      with people yet. I am happy to share information on specific questions, and
      look up serial numbers, etc., but on an available time basis.

      All of the Vandercook records are within a few feet of my desk and fill 19
      file cabinets, plus we have several of the newer model presses on hand so
      that we can go to a specific press and address a problem with the press in
      front of us. The #4 is out there in such numbers that I have most of the
      blueprints for that press in a file folder so I can answer questions.

      Vandercooks are still used by a lot of people besides the limited edition,
      fine press/printer group. I have a Universal I in the shop now that belongs
      to International Paper Co. We have companies like WestvacoMead that own 14
      Vandercooks, and they are in daily use. I keep at my desk several vintage
      Vandercook catalogs so I can answer specific questions, but I am not
      prepared to go much further than that just based on what time I have
      available. And, we have a number of customers who purchased their
      Vandercooks new back in the 60s and are still using them. Any special order
      presses from the 60s and 70s have a file folder devoted to the changes
      ordered by the customer, and that information is available. Unfortunately,
      most of the company correspondence files did not survive, and I can only
      speculate what has been dumped by any of the owners previous to me. I'm a
      pack rat and keep everything, and plan to pass it all along someday when we
      need to move out of the business. I did give a slide show at the Denver APA
      conference in June that had about 125 pictures from the Vandercook
      photograph collection that we have, and I will be giving it again in Denver
      at Thanksgiving time.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA