9480Re: platemaking issues

  • itsfancyletterpress
    Mar 10 7:49 AM
      Gerald you are correct on the plates. I was trying to have a local guy source the plate
      material to see if it would save me a buck or two on shipping.

      Also you are correct Eric. With the lack of sleep this week I did a typo. I meant to type 21
      not 12.

      I built my own exposure unit Saturday and I plan a write up with pics to document my
      progress. It will however take a couple of weeks. I also broke my NuArc platemaker,
      smoked a 250V fuse, disassembled the whole thing and rewired it so just the vacuum
      table was working off of the original switch. I am working today on 2 hours of sleep
      because of a job I had to plate and print last night for a client pickup today. If you haven't
      guessed letterpress is my weekend and night hobby.

      I exposed a handful of plates but not to the perfection that I desired but with my washout
      board on back order along with my sponge roller I had to improvise and it seemet to work
      fine. Much to my wife's dismay (she was at church when I did it) I used our oven to speed
      up drying time by putting the plates in there for 15 min at 130 degrees.

      I still am working out issues with not enough shoulder for my liking but for a self
      discovery crash course I am happy with the results. All in all I will be saving an average of
      $80 to $100 in plate charges and shipping an order. which to me is worth the time and
      energy in a hand washout plus I get to keep the negatives incase I want to reuse artwork
      of have to remake a plate.

      cody

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "parallel_imp" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Cody L <itsfancyletterpress@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > [. . .] Until my 12 step gauge comes in I have a 14 step gauge
      > > that I tried to use but it really is no help
      >

      > Cody, there are many different grayscales. The right one here is a
      > 21-step platemaker's grayscale, made by Stouffer, which is a
      > transmission scale. There are other brands, but most maufacturer's
      > specs refer specifically to a 21-step scale, with target around step
      > 16 (varies with mfr).
      > A 12-step scale (at least from Stouffer) is a camera (reflection)
      > scale and not useful for this purpose.
      > --Eric Holub, SF

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic