9460Re: [PPLetterpress] platemaking issues

  • Gary Mordhorst
    Mar 6 5:55 AM
      Hello Cody,

      The issue is that the offset plate maker has a pin point light system. This type of light will cause a letterpress plate to not have the shoulder, which provides strength to the type form. A commercial photopolymer plate maker uses a bank of high UV bulbs, exposing the plate with a variety of angles of light. This diffused light source creates the shoulder on the type, and provides plate strength.

      You are going to find that small items, such as periods and dot on lower case "i"s drop off during the course of the press run.

      The light needs to be diffused, but I do not feel that there is any safe way to diffuse the NuArc's lamp.

      Best Regards,

      Gary Mordhorst
      AccuColor Plus, Inc.
      2134 W. Division
      Chicago, IL 60622

      www.accucolor.com

      (773) 227-7788

      Conventional Offset, Contemporary Letterpress, Foil Stamping

      AccuColor Plus is a Certified Adobe Print Service Provider