9431Re: [PPLetterpress] Future of Print (was Re: Inkjet/Letterpress Paper)

  • Michael Andrews
    Mar 1, 2008
      This topic is one that relates to the concerns of many
      librarians and conservators I have spoken with since
      the age of digital storage.

      At first it seemed the digital media would be the
      solution to preserving color film. The best color film
      I know in regards to archival longevity was
      Kodachrome. With perfect storage it might last 150
      years.
      A fugitive color print (dye couplers, dye transfer,
      cibachrome) might make it as far as 300 years in the
      best case and in the worst case such as polaroids may
      make only last 25 years without some degradation.

      Prints on paper using a pigment ink (such as a carbro
      or digital print) might be expected to last as long as
      a painting, say 500 years.

      The librarians were miffed by the fact that most
      digital media lasted somewhere around 15 years and
      then need a never-ending cycle of reproduction to
      guarantee future existence.

      The lesson for photographers is that only what hits
      archival paper has any chance of surviving at least as
      long as the species does.

      If the world runs out of cheap electricity via the
      ever decreasing supply of petroleum, electronic media
      will no longer be readily accessible.

      That does not even take into consideration the
      perpetually evolving nature of the media itself. The
      hope is that some form of permanent electronic media
      will emerge. The fear is the expense of converting
      existing data to it. The ultimate fear is how much
      will be lost when such conversions take place and the
      old media becomes practically extinct.

      The lesson for those who are committed to the value of
      the written word (at least as long as the species
      survives) need to put archival ink on archival paper.
      No doubt there is some minuscule chunk of words that
      will be engraved in metal or stone, but for us
      populists, nothing so far has eclipsed the function of
      words on paper.

      midnight musings of an ink and paper dinosaur

      michael

      Be a better friend, newshound, and