893Re: Digital Simulation? (was: RE: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 254)

  • Sue Clancy
    Sep 4, 2002
      Hi all,

      As a former digital addict (I've a BFA in fine art with an emphasis in graphic
      design) - I gotta admit I've fallen back in love with 'the human touch' after years
      of work as a 'graphics' person. So much so that some 5 years back I decided that I
      could no longer stomach my job as a graphic designer/pre-press person at a local
      printing press. (I couldn't contribute to the landfill by creating slick coated
      mass-produced things that had a very very short shelf life - things like media
      guides for sporting events etc.)
      I quit and went to work for myself - making hand made stuff. I won't go into the
      long-winded list of what all I'm doing now, but I LOVE seeing other artists
      letterpress work! I LOVE seeing original pen and ink illustrations. I LOVE doing
      pen and ink illustrations and 're-producing' them via woodcuts or linocuts!
      There's nothing better than getting your hands dirty and making something with a
      personal flavor (both in the creation of, and the reading/looking.)
      There's also nothing better than looking at something someone made with the sweat
      of their brow.
      And there's no better feeling - for me anyway - than after having worked a hard
      days work, settling down in my easy chair with a cold beer knowing that I exerted
      myself body, mind and spirit and that I gave it my all!