8461Re: buying old type

    Oct 3, 2007
      Lisa

      Likely; an old-timer's type of joke. But lead oxide is no laughing
      matter. Don't buy used type that has a white fuzzy appearance, and if
      you have something like this, get rid of it. Type case as well. Lead
      poisoning is caused by lead oxide. It's the stuff they put in paint.
      Like the toys that are being recalled. Paint manufacturers in the US
      are limited to the amount they can use, something like 5% with certain
      exceptions, such as parking lot paint or for military use. It is
      actually a durable and preservative element in paint and ink.
      Gutenberg used it in his ink formula and kept that secret to his grave
      (discovered only relatively recently through the use of sophisticated
      analysis techniques), and if you have ever you seen as copy of B42,
      the black is still as black as can be imagined.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Davidson