8454Re: [PPLetterpress] buying old type

  • Edgar L Weber
    Oct 2, 2007
      At 02:07 PM 10/1/2007, Warren Gailbreath,Jr.wrote:
      >Hi Lisa,
      > >Be sure and check for completeness of the fonts and if
      > >there is a shortage look for jobs in the galley that
      > >the missing letters may still be locked up in.

      When checking be especially vigilant for missing kerns on "f", "ff",
      etc, or short counts on the more fragile kerned sorts.
      I've seen wrapped but incomplete fonts of new type which lacked the
      "f"'s, etc., so any wrapped packages should be opened & checked.
      And wrapped packages can be short of other sorts -- if the shop did a
      lot of work for someone named Zabrew or such, it was often cheaper to
      buy a couple of extra cap fonts than to order a separate line of "Z"
      (or whatever)

      Happy hunting,

      Ed Weber/ Tombstone Beaver Press
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic