8040Re: Soy update

    Jul 9, 2007
      Heidrun

      In reading through that list from the search I'd recommend downloading
      the PDF "Biochemicals for the Printing Industry." This has percentages
      listed.

      My limited experience with soy inks has not been all that
      satisfactory. I can't get the quality of presswork that I've
      experienced with other inks—I suspect that this has something to do
      with the carrier to pigment ratio in the blacks. Nor does soy ink seem
      to respond well with traditional additives, such as magnesium
      carbonate. Also, since it is considered more biodegradable than
      traditional inks I wonder about its longevity. Plus, it's a bit
      unnerving that the stuff can be washed off your hands with plain soap
      and water!!!

      http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3065/is_n10-11_v21/ai_13633194/pg_2

      > Gerald
      >

      > In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, heidrun mumper-drumm <drummbeat@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > If you do find out the percentage, please let me know. I do know
      > that having as little as 10% soy allows the industry to state
      > 'soy-based inks,' which then qualifies as 'green washing' to my mind.
      > >
      > > Heidrun

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic