8039[PPLetterpress] Re: Soy update

    Jul 9, 2007
      Hi Gerald, all,

      At 4:45 PM +0000 9 07 07, Gerald Lange wrote:
      >Heidrun
      >
      >This was at the top of the list when I Googled soybean ink percentage:
      >
      >http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3065/is_n10-11_v21/ai_13633194/pg_2

      I went to this site, and was immediately confronted by a "pop-up" Safari dialog box claiming that my computer needed to be "Cleaned" (I had turned off the pop-up blocker, as I'm a developer, I need to see these sometimes)

      Unlikely...

      Although it's unlikely that ErrClean would affect a Mac (unless it was running Windoze of course), rather than risk the fact that it ignores the Cancel button, I force-quit Safari

      Here's the scoop on ErrClean if others run into the problem:

      http://www.enigmasoftware.com/support/spyhunter-threat-database-update-498/
      """
      ErrClean
      ErrClean is a fake system repair utility that is often downloaded and installed by a Trojan or through browser security holes. ErrClean will also display notifications of imaginary security risks in its attempts to get the user to purchase the full version. This program can be extremely difficult to remove manually, and will continue to try to recreate itself.
      """

      It may not need saying, but I will do so anyway.
      Don't ever take candy from strangers, or let an unknown application have access to your hard-disk.
      Also, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

      ;-)

      Cheers
      PF

      Semiotx Inc. http://typeandmeaning.com