8011Re: bringing the cost of plates down

  • Casey McGarr
    Jul 2, 2007
      When I design and print posters for either personal or client work I
      like doing linocuts. I always offer to my clients linocuts or
      photopolymer. What I charge by the hour versus a polymer plate is the
      deciding factor. If I want the plate for a latter use in another project
      I'll usually do a linocut.

      If I design the piece I keep in mind that I may be carving it, if
      another designer designs it and has no concept of the challenges of
      letterpress printing I usually opt for a polymer plate or consult them
      to think about a linocut.

      I like carving type and images. I did a 4 color poster and all the type
      was knocked out of the background to the color of the paper. I about
      flipped. It was for my old boss at Fossil
      <http://www.inkylipspress.com/posters/images/tim_hale.jpg> and a great
      looking poster so I said what the heck. 10 hours later I was finished. I
      could have output plates and that would have been very costly.

      I have linocuts from the last 6 years that are still in great shape.

      Casey
      iLP