7905Print a broadside for Mutanabbi Street

  • Kathy Walkup
    Jun 4, 2007
      To protest & commemorate the bombing of Mutanabbi Street, the center of
      bookselling in Baghdad, on March 5th 2007, the Mutanabbi Street Coalition
      is organizing a reading
      and other events that will begin in August 2007 in San Francisco. In
      conjunction with the reading we are inviting letterpress printers anywhere
      to contribute a broadside.
      If you would like to participate, please email kwalk@....
      You will be put on an email list and will receive information as it
      develops, and we will know how many broadsides to plan for.
      Here is how it will work:

      We are asking each printer to contribute at least ten broadsides so that
      we can make sets and sell them. Proceeds will benefit Doctors Without
      Borders and other Iraqi support organizations. Sets will be offered for
      sale to Bay Area and other libraries and will be taken to the Oak Knoll
      Fest in October on the East Coast. One boxed set may be auctioned through
      the San Francisco Center for the Book.
      Broadsides should be between 9x12 and 12x18 inches (portrait or
      landscape orientation). Paper is the choice and responsibility of the
      printer. Please be certain that COPYRIGHT PERMISSION is held for any work
      you undertake; we will be unable to include the broadside in the sets for
      sale if copyright is not indicated. Deadline for broadside delivery is
      August 15, 2007. Details about delivery will follow.
      SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY: If you are interested in being matched
      with a contemporary Iraqi writer, please contact Lisa Rappoport (cutvelvet@...).
      The Mutanabbi Street Coalition reading will be held on Sunday,
      August 26, 2007, at 2pm at the San Francisco Public Library. The San
      Francisco Center for the Book will host an informal viewing, broadside
      exchange, and evening of printing and readings on Friday, September 28,
      2007, from 7-9pm.
      For more information about the Mutanabbi Street Coalition please see
      http://artifactseries.blogspot.com/2007/05/call-for-volunteers-mutanabbi-street.html.

      THANKS!

      Kathleen Walkup
      Professor