7664Re: Boxcar Base

    Mar 31 8:23 PM
      Sylvia

      I've got two Bunting Cerface Magnetic Bases that fit my Vandercook
      SP15 bed at 11-1/4 by 17 inches. This leaves just enough room for
      roller supports, quoins, and supporting furniture on the width. The
      press is, amazingly enough, capable of providing uniform ink coverage
      over that range.

      A consideration regarding a large base though might be this. Bunting
      won't make a base larger than 11-1/4 by 8-1/2 inches simply because
      they cannot guarantee that it will be precisely parallel throughout
      the measure beyond that; and they are a major manufacturer of all
      sorts of industrial products. They will make larger bases on special
      order but caution with the suggestion that such a base would need to
      be bolted down to the press bed. That is something I would give some
      thought to in your decision making. Sometimes bigger isn't better.