      From: Harold Kyle <harold@...>
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, February 5, 2007 2:30:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Plastic Plates Curling...

      Dan:

      I'm sorry to hear the problems you're having with the plates. I wish

      I could have responded earlier, but the heavy snow here left us short-

      staffed and I didn't get a chance to write earlier. Feel free to call

      us directly with any concerns about our plates when they happen!

      The cold shouldn't affect the plates, but the dryness of the winter

      weather will cause the plates to curl. When the plates dry out, their

      surface hardens and tends to curl inward, especially on large solids

      on the KF152 plates. Thinner plastic-backed plates (like our 94FL)

      don't tend to have this problem, nor will plates with ligher

      coverage. This problem tends to flare up in the winter when the air

      is dry for many of our customers. Usually the impression of the press

      flattens the plate, but in your case it sounds like the plate isn't

      sticking at all.

      There are two steps to prevent this problem:

      * Humidity helps. Run a humidifier in your shop in winter to make

      sure the plates aren't losing moisture.

      * Keep your plates bagged (to keep the plates in constant humidity)

      and out out light (to keep them from hardening).

      I have one solution that might get you through this run:

      * If your plates have hardened and curled, you can re-moisten them to

      make them more flexible. Since water will damage the adhesive, I

      recommend you place the plate polymer-side up on a flat surface and

      lay a wet towel on top. Let the plate sit, moistening, for five to

      ten minutes. You can then dry the plate by blotting it dry with a

      lint-free rag and following up with a hair drier. The plate should be

      more supple and flatten out when the press goes to impression.

      If you continue to have problems with your plate, give me a call. We

      guarantee the plates for six months after processing, so we can offer

      a replacement if you've stored your plates properly and still have

      this problem. This must be the order we shipped right before Christmas?

      Good luck, and let me know how you fare.

      Harold

      PS. I just talked with a customer whose base was so cold, she

      suspects the adhesive wasn't sticking well. The information on our

      adhesive doesn't have a temperature range, but it could be that the

      base is so cold that the rubber-based adhesive can't stick. This is

      conjecture, but maybe if you heated the base, it would be more

      receptive to the adhesive?

      I will try to follow up with the manufacturer about this question

      tomorrow.

      On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:22 PM, featherweightpress wrote:

      > have a job on the press using plastic backed photopolymer plates

      > and sheet adhesive

      > backing, but the plates are warping like crazy and peeling off the

      > base. What could cause

      > this to happen? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I

      > have really heavy areas of

      > solid in the artwork? My studio has been a bit cold, if I heat it

      > up a bit will these things sit

      > flat?

      > Daniel Morris

      > The Arm Letterpress

      > Brooklyn, NY

      Harold Kyle

      Boxcar Press

      501 W. Fayette St. #222 ~ Syracuse, NY 13204

      315-473-0930 phone ~ 315-473-0967 fax

      http://www.boxcarpr ess.com

      <!--

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}