741Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Rialto Pressa ink traps

  • Mark Attwood
    Jul 16, 2002
      > Gerald wrote:

      > Far too often the consumer fails to support
      > the better quality offering, generally because it costs more. A
      > fellow from Monotype once pointed out to me that during the photofilm
      > composition years Monotype actually tried to offer the scaled down
      > version of optical ranging that they had practiced in the metal
      > composition years but no one was willing to buy four size fonts of
      > the same face when they could just photoscale the one face that they
      > did buy. That's how we got into this mess. Time we started thinking
      > of a way out of it?
      >
      > I know there are a lot of folks who don't really care what their type
      > looks like. And wonder what the big deal is. But this has always been
      > the case, for some 550 years now. There have also been those who are
      > concerned. Aren't their contributions the ones we tend to remember
      > and honor in our recreation of the letterpress myth?.

      Well said Gerald. I think we do need to support the efforts of those
      designing better products, I wanted to get an idea of how much better the
      optimised font would be, than simply choosing a lighter font before making
      an investment.

      Ernest Shackleton, the Antarctic explorer said one should always acquire the
      best tools possible, as poor tools corrode the spirit, and I think the same
      applies to printing.

      Regards,
      Mark.

      Mark Attwood