738Re: Rialto Pressa ink traps

  • bielerpr
    Jul 15, 2002
      > I am very interested in the ink traps and can see the ways in which the
      > traps differ from regular digital type, and I don't like to knock the hard
      > work of dfTYPE, but does it really make a difference? Surely choosing a
      > light font when you want a medium to print letterpress will give the same
      > sort of legibility?
      >
      > Mark Attwood

      Hi Mark

      I think there are two different things going on with this. Digital
      type does tend to thicken noticeably when printed letterpress but the
      answer is simply not to switch to a lighter version, though that is
      an answer.

      I will often make four or five instances of a typeface, using a font
      editing program to give me a range of selections. This has more to do
      with optimization than it does the thickening process though that is
      an obvious consideration.

      While this will give a better optical range it doesn't actually
      provide true optimization. This is more a technical consideration in
      the design of a typeface, metal or digital. And it should be said
      that we did not often get this with metal either. But there are a
      growing number of digital fonts that in way or another do approach
      some form of optimization.

      This is a good thing, no? Far too often the consumer fails to support
      the better quality offering, generally because it costs more. A
      fellow from Monotype once pointed out to me that during the photofilm
      composition years Monotype actually tried to offer the scaled down
      version of optical ranging that they had practiced in the metal
      composition years but no one was willing to buy four size fonts of
      the same face when they could just photoscale the one face that they
      did buy. That's how we got into this mess. Time we started thinking
      of a way out of it?

      I know there are a lot of folks who don't really care what their type
      looks like. And wonder what the big deal is. But this has always been
      the case, for some 550 years now. There have also been those who are
      concerned. Aren't their contributions the ones we tend to remember
      and honor in our recreation of the letterpress myth?.

      All best