      I would love to offer an apprenticeship to anyone willing to learn
      letterpress printing, but there are several problems with the concept in
      our case:

      #1: Location: Rural Upstate New York, 35 miles NNE of Syracuse, in the
      middle of nowhere, so it is hard to find anyone to want to move here.
      Outside of working, there is little or nothing to do.... (Hey, that may be
      a benefit, the apprentice can work 24/7 <grin>).

      #2: Current employee: We have one part time employee working on our one
      regular local commercial account, and would not want to displace him for an
      apprentice.

      #3: Work Volume: Since our fund raising side of the business has suffered
      drastic decreases in the past 5-6 years, we are working on developing other
      lines of work, but until that develops more fully, we just don't have
      enough work to keep anyone on a full-time basis...

      Other than that, I would love to share my experience of operating a
      commercial letterpress operation for the past 26 years. We have (4) Miehle
      Vertical V-50's, (5) B. Verner Model FM Multipresses (for envelopes,
      mainly), (1) C&P 10x15 Craftsman w/Rice Feeder, (1) C&P 10x15 Craftsman
      Handfed and (1) C&P 8x12 NS. We use all of these presses on various
      projects. When we were 100% in the stationery fund raising business, each
      press was set up to run a single product line. Now, I am looking for
      additional other work to keep more of this equipment in operation more
      often. Once that developes, maybe if there are some interested people, I
      could take on an apprentice or two to learn the craft. Oh, yeah, our type
      setting department consists of 3 Intertypes and 2 Ludlows with 40+ fonts
      for the Ludlows and 20+ fonts for the Intertypes. We long ago dumped all
      of our foundry type to the scrap dealer (20 years ago or so, my father's
      decision, not mine....).

      With this in mind as well: an apprenticeship with us would include most of
      what Allen described, as we have about the same type of operation as his,
      except for the foundry type part of the operation. (We do still have 3
      cases of foundry type, however, so someone could learn the layout of a
      Calif. Job Case, etc...) It is a dirty job at times, and everything to
      keep a commercial shop operating has to be in the brain of the owner, so
      you have to learn everything from the bottom up....

      - Lance Williams, President
      Williams Stationery Co.
      (Printer of Kadet Stationery)
      Camden, New York
      www.kadetstationery.com
      APA #785

      thoughtful email should be. I DO think us young ones need to know what is
      involved, the unglamorous and unromantic side. But know that there are a
      few of us out there who may be naive and inexperienced but WILL work our
      butts off. Hopefully this group allows us to find each other.