600Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 179

  • Mike Lyon
    May 15, 2002
      Take a look at http://www.granthams.com/page2.html for a description, with
      pictures... I frequently use this liquid photopolymer to make small plates
      with my home-made 4-bulb 40 watt florescent light box to expose the
      polymer -- I sandwich the laserjet printed negative, with liquid
      photopolymer poured over it and another acetate sheet on top between two
      pieces of 1/4" glass held together and apart by self-adhesive magnet strips
      on both pieces -- then expose the 'back' for 4 minutes, flip it and expose
      the 'front' for 4 minutes, wash it out and expose it another 4 minutes and
      I'm done... Lights are about 4" above the polymer during exposure.

      Mike

      At 10:10 AM 5/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Aging plates?
      >

      >You expose polymer with 40 Watt lamps? What exposure times do you use with
      >this setup, Joel? Are you referring to regular purple looking
      >"blacklights?" I didn't think such a low wattage setup would work very well
      >even with hours of exposure. Can you give us a product descritption as
      >printed on the bulbs you use and a little more detail as to your process?
      >
      >For what it's worth my cheapo homemade lamp setup is just a Sylvania "Sun
      >Gun" that uses a 650 watt "DWY" halogen photo optic lamp. The lamps come
      >with a warning that the bulb emits UV radiation and that you should not look
      >directly into the fixture. You can usually find these used on ebay for $10
      >to $15 and they will expose polymer very nicely in about 30 minutes time
      >from about four feet back. I think both the original Sylvania Sun Gun and
      >the Sun Gun 2 both use the same DWY lamp.
      >
      >Ed

      Mike Lyon
      mailto:mikelyon@...
      http://www.mlyon.com