5597Re: [PPLetterpress] web design

  • Jason Dewinetz
    Apr 4, 2006
      I get a kick out of these applications; as though "web" development was an
      "easy" thing to do like a "pro."

      Dreamweaver (was Macromedia, now Adobe) is, of course, the industry standard
      web development tool, but it can be a bit daunting for new users. The point,
      of course, is that it's unreasonable to think that just because you might
      know a few HTML tags you should go ahead and attempt to build a site that
      will meet even the simplest of technical or aesthetic standards. I'm biased,
      of course, as both a book and web designer, but it really is disappointing
      how many publishers and organizations are willing to have a very poorly
      designed and coded site represent them on the internet. That bright orange
      tie with the mustard all over it says a lot about the guy wearing it, and so
      does a site plagued by a distracting background, cheesy buttons, sloppy
      typography and default link styles.

      Don't get me wrong, I know that many publishers/organizations don't even
      have sufficient budgets to afford decent design for their books and other
      projects, let alone for their web site, but, like anything, you get what you
      pay for in this arena, as in any other. Cheap & "easy" web applications will
      help you to produce cheap and flaky web sites, or a college kid at $10/hr
      can do the same.

      Bethany, good for you for seeking some outside help, you'll be glad you did.
      I'm sure there are a handful of good design shops in your area, and working
      with someone local will make your life much easier when it comes to updates
      & maintenance.

      Jason Dewinetz